Fish have Ich!!!! Help!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twestacott

Aquarium Advice Activist
About a week ago we added 4 barbs and 2 rainbow fish to our community tank and everything seemed to be going fine. Last night I noticed some white spots on the barbs. I stopped on the way home today and got some aquarium salt and some ich medication. After doing some research I am concerned about using salt for treatment as I have 3 corycats in the tank. As per the advice of my LFS I have added the medication along with about 5 tablespoons of salt (dissolved in water sperately). Now I am reading that I should have only used the medication a a last resort and that I need a lot more salt to combat ich (at least 1 tablespoon per gallon). I am so confused...... Please help with how I should move forward so I dont lose my fish.

Tank Stocking:
3 corycats
4 black neon tetra
2 zebra danio
2 rainbow fish
4 barbs
3 german blue rams
1 bolivian ram
1 platy
1 swordtail

The tank is 36 gallons and the temperature has been raised to 86F gradually over the past 24 hours.

The barbs are covered and although they are swimming they seem to twitch and rub against everything. The other fish maybe only a few spots.

My understanding is that the heat & water changes will do the trick but it will get worse before it gets better. You have to make sure to vacuum the substrate as well. It can take a couple of weeks before all the spots are gone. They say to keep the heat up for another week after you see the last spot. My info. comes from advice given to others in this forum. Have patience & persistence.

twestacott said:
Does that mean stop medication?

Most on here don't use meds just the heat & water changes. If its only been 1 day you may want to stop. Some meds will kill your BB so you have to be careful using them. Keep an eye on your water parameters.

It is now day 2 and this morning I found one corycat upside down and a terra stuck to the filter intake. Stopping the meds immediately and just sticking with the 86F and the 1tbsp of salt per 5 gallons of water that is in the tank. Also doing 30% water change every 24 hours.

Heat, pwc's and gravel vacs al you need ... Keep. The heat up about a week after the last sign of ich.

Ok thanks. Good news is that the more prized fish still seem ok like the GBR, Bolivian Ram and the rainbows although one rainbow had a lot of spots this morning

twestacott said:
Ok thanks. Good news is that the more prized fish still seem ok like the GBR, Bolivian Ram and the rainbows although one rainbow had a lot of spots this morning

That's good. Just remember it can get worse before it gets better. I hope everyone survives.

twestacott said:
It is now day 2 and this morning I found one corycat upside down and a terra stuck to the filter intake. Stopping the meds immediately and just sticking with the 86F and the 1tbsp of salt per 5 gallons of water that is in the tank. Also doing 30% water change every 24 hours.

BTW ... Add an airstone if you haven't already ... The warmer the water the less oxygen it'll contain ... So increased aeration is important to ensure oxygen exchange. If you don't have an airstone handy ... You can use your filters's output ... Depending on what filter you have.

1. drop your water level so your HOB filter produces a taller waterfall thus more water agitation
2. Point the output nozzle to the surface to agitate.

hope your fish pull through!

I don't have an airstone but I lowered the water level so that the filter output pushes the water around more on the surface

I don't have an airstone but I lowered the water level so that the filter output pushes the water around more on the surface

Good(y) ... Low oxygen levels would also stress the fish ... Not something you want to add to.:nono:

Now just be patient and vigilant ... Keep us updated!

This is day 3 now. No more dead fish but the spots have gotten much worse on the barbs and on one rainbow. Debating on adding more salt as I am at about 1tbsp per 5gallon. Temperature is around 86F.

twestacott said:
This is day 3 now. No more dead fish but the spots have gotten much worse on the barbs and on one rainbow. Debating on adding more salt as I am at about 1tbsp per 5gallon. Temperature is around 86F.

This is going to happen, it gets worse before getting better. If I'm not mistaken day 3 or so is about when it usually happens. Personally I wouldn't change anything, but others may disagree. Keep up with the water changes & vacuuming.

Just did a 30% pwc and found my platy upside down caught in a plant.funny thing is he had no spots. I hope there isn't something else going on here. There is also a barb that is hiding

To give an update it has been over 24 hours since any fish have died and the barbs all look much better today with having significantly less spots and they are more active. One rainbow still has quite a few spots but is still active. I am hoping this means I am through the worst of it. Continuing with 30% water changes daily.

To give an update it has been over 24 hours since any fish have died and the barbs all look much better today with having significantly less spots and they are more active. One rainbow still has quite a few spots but is still active. I am hoping this means I am through the worst of it. Continuing with 30% water changes daily.

Sounds like a positive step ... Keep up the PWC's and gravel vacs. Figure another couple of days before the spots are gone, but still keep the temp up for another 5days or so.

Thanks. I plan to keep it up for at least 2 weeks from the first sign of spots.

Back
Top Bottom