Fish hiding and not eating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JaredShope1

Aquarium Advice Activist
I got a new decoration for my tank. It is like a log that the fish can hide themselves in. My mollies and platys like swimming in and out of it, and my dwarf gourami likes to chill in it. However my dwarf gourami has been “chillin” in it all day and night and even when he came to the surface, he won’t eat. This is like the 3rd sick gourami from petco and I’m starting to believe in that dwarf gourami diseases stuff

Sorry to hear that. I would first keep an eye on your mollies to make sure one isn't being a bully to your gourami. If you have a separate tank I would definitely move him into that.
I would stop buying them from Petco. If you have a local fish store I would look in there. You could also try a female betta next time or if you have enough room a different type of gourami. Honey gourami are nice but I've heard you have to keep them in pairs.

Sounds like he could be sick just like you think. If you can, setup a sick tank and begin fresh water and medication (such as paraguard). If you dont have a separate tank then you can do it all in the same tank. It wont hurt your other fish and if they are sick too, itll help them as well.

Unfortunately he actually just died. I think it was just the darn inbreeding with petco. I’m never getting a fish from a big chain pet store again. He had dropsy when I found him belly up

This is the reason I gave up on dwarf gouramis awhile ago. If you decide to get another one, immediately put him in a quarantine tank and medicate for everything possible over the course of a month. I think that's the best chance you'll have with them.

Back
Top Bottom