Fish jumped out of the tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mulmix

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys,
I am a bit worried for my Indian flasher barb. He jumped out of the bucket I was transferring him in and landed on my carpet floor. I immediately picked him up and put him back into the tank water he's used to. But now he's been swimming belly up ever since. At first I thought he might just be stunned, so I left it but just added more aeration.

There were no foreign particles on him and I cannot see any external injures. No missing scales or anything.

It's been overnight and still no change. Is there something I can do? He was fine before the jump!

No one knows anything to do hey? He's Still swimming near the top flipped belly up. And they aren't super cheap to replace for a fresh water fish...

Does anyone think feeding a cooked blanched pea to him would help? Or maybe a lost cause?

If he's still like that, euthanasia may be the most humane option. It sounds like some kind of swim bladder issue which I think would be permanent.

Sent from my XT830C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Update - So I saw Sinibotia's reply to this thread while I was at work still. I had plans to come home, feed him once (including all my other fish) and if I saw no change in behavior, i would euthanize him before work tomorrow. :(

When I got home, I took a look into my tank and saw him swimming with the other fish right side up again! I can tell his tail is SLIGHTLY higher up than it should be in comparison to his head. but its not much and he seems to be on the up and up. He may just pull through yet! :fish2:

What I did to try and remedy (not sure if any of it helped, or it was just a time thing)

1. Loads of aeration.
- I Bought another air pump with two more air stones and immediately added them to the tank.

2. Turned down/off all fish tank lights and lights in room so as not to stress out the little guy more than necessary.

3. Put fish on a three day fast.
- I was hoping any pressure that could be on the swim bladder may be relived easier with less food in the belly.

4. Added some aquarium salt to the tank.
- 1 TBS per 10 gallons.
- I normally have no salt in the water, as I have a few clown loaches that I know should not have any salt in the water.

I think I should do a 20% water change tomorrow to remove some of the salt in the tank. Unless anyone thinks maybe I should wait so as not to put any stress on my recovering flasher barb?:fish1:

He has now eaten a couple small sinking pellets I dropped into the tank. Fingers crossed he makes it through! :)

Back
Top Bottom