Fish keep getting sick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

killifish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all, I have a 10 gallon fully cycled aquarium with driftwood and live plants, and my fish keep getting sick. The tank finished cycling 2 weeks ago, and 1 week ago I added 2 male and 2 female guppies, and one killifish. Everyone was doing fine, but recently I added a new pair of killifish (without quarantining them first which I now know was stupid) and they died within days of entering the tank. The male killifish showed signs of fin rot just before he died, though I did not see any fuzz or spots. My other killifish died the day afterward and had cloudy eyes before he died, and then one of my female guppies died today with red gills, white spots, and fin rot.

I must have tested the water 4 or 5 times while this was happening. Ammonia and nitrites were always 0 and nitrates 5-10. PH ranged between 6.6 - 6.8. Whenever a fish got sick I moved it to it’s own hospital tank and added aquarium salt and general cure. I also did a 30% water change for the main tank and put in aquarium salt. But clearly it did no good at all because my fish kept falling ill. I have no idea what is happening to cause my fish to keep dying and I’m terrified for my remaining fish. Is there something I’m missing here? What else can I do? I’m so confused as all my fish seem to have had different symptoms before they died. I thought maybe someone with more experience could offer me some advice on what might be going on and how to help my fish. Thank you!

Red gills are usually a sign of a lack of oxygen. White spots can be a sign of ich
Some killifish are aggressive and get pretty big. With livebearers like guppies you need to keep at least 2 females to 1 male.

Back
Top Bottom