Fish laxative?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

izzy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55 gal tank (with UG/powerheads, Penguin 330, heaters) with neon tetras, lemon tetras, corys, zebra danios and plecko.

Now the problem is that few zebra danios seems to be constipated. I tried to feed fish sweat peas (cooked, pealed, quartered) however they didn't eat them.

My QT is full (new buy 4 neons) so I can't move fish there right now (until comming Monday).

How do I get zebras any "laxative"? What and how, what dossage etc...

Freeze-dried daphnia are supposed to has a laxative effect and to be good for bloating. My danios really love them too. I give them as a treat a couple of times a week. Freeze-dried daphnia is almost a powder. It has lots of fiber but not alot of nutrients.

Use epsom salt, I can't remembe the exact dosage but it should be somewhere on the forums.

Just give them a 10-15min Epsom salt bath and that acts as a very good laxative. I've seen it done on Angel fish a few times since they are prone to constipation.

Were the peas cooked too much? From my understanding you only want to blanch them instead of cooking them all the way. HTH.

Back
Top Bottom