Fish not eating and white stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BIG 30

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello I am new to just about everything including this forum.

Right now I am not having very much luck. We have a few bluegill and they were fine for a while but now not eating, had one die and another has a large red spot on its tail before the fin.
Also I have developed some type of white growth on the objects in the tank.
Local store told me it was fungus and sold me some pimafix. That is when the fish started doing bad and the white stuff is still growing. Yes I have done water changes also with no luck

Any help would be great.

Hi and welcome! I wouldnt depend on your lfs for good advice-alot of the time its misinformed and inaccurate at best. Lets start with some information. How big is your tank? Is it cycled? How long has it been running with fish? How big/how many fish? What type/size filter? How often/how much are you doing pwcs (partial water changes) & what are you using as a water conditioner? Are you testing for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate? What are you using to test (strips or liquid)? If you dont understand anything im asking, just ask & we will help you out!

Hi and welcome! I wouldnt depend on your lfs for good advice-alot of the time its misinformed and inaccurate at best. Lets start with some information. How big is your tank? Is it cycled? How long has it been running with fish? How big/how many fish? What type/size filter? How often/how much are you doing pwcs (partial water changes) & what are you using as a water conditioner? Are you testing for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate? What are you using to test (strips or liquid)? If you dont understand anything im asking, just ask & we will help you out!

10 Gal
Is it cycled???
running about a month
4 fish small
Whisper 30 gal filter
Water changes- 3 times 1/4 of the tank. about to do it again fish are grasping

Denox or something like that in little blue bottle plus now pima for the white fuzz.
No testing.

Thanks

Hi Big 30, bluegill eventually get really large and should be in a large tank.

That said, I'd get a good liquid test kit so you can see exactly what is going on with your water. Also read up on the nitrogen cycle to get an idea of what is going on in the tank.

Also, do a bigger water change than 1/4, try for 1/2 or even 3/4 if the fish are gasping, the issue is likely related to water quality.

It's likely your tank is not cycled. You might want to read the stickies on fish in cycling. Good luck.

I agree with everyone-you really should invest in an API fw master test kit so you can monitor what is going on in your tank. Your tank is not cycled yet-please read up on fish-in cycling so you can understand what is going on. Your fish illnesses & deaths are result of poor water quality (high ammonia and/or nitrites). You will need to start doing 50% pwcs daily with a good water conditioner (prime or amquel plus-they both help to detox amm & nitrite). Add water condit for the size of your tank-not the amount you are changing before you add the new water & make sure you match the temp of your new water to the temp of your tank. The pimafix is doing nothing & i would stop using it. Healthy water along with weekly gravel vac should be enough to help heal your fish. The 'gasping' is the result of ammonia and/or nitrite poisoning-you will need to be viligant on your daily pwcs & may have to do them as often as 2 or 3 times a day to keep your levels of amm/nitrite/nitrate safe until your tank is cycled. Please ask questions is you dont understand anything!

OK will look into a kit tomorrow and yes I stopped using the pimafix.
I will try to post what happens once I get kit.
Thanks for now...

Back
Top Bottom