Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-17-2021, 08:28 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

fish sitting/lying on bottom

Hi, we got 4 gourami a couple months ago, and they've gradually gotten less and less active, and now barely move. The fish store has said for 2 weeks in a row the water tests as perfect. At least one had gotten some black spots so I gave pimafix for a week but it didn't seem to affect anything. Any ideas? Or how do I know if it's ok to get new fish if these die? Thank you!
Margie

Old 06-21-2021, 01:10 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Firstly, can you show me a photo of your fish? I know I can't do much (I never kept Gouramis in my life) however this happened with my fish as well. I keep nine Glofish and they're my bundle of joy... The first week they were fine, but the second week they looked sickly.

There's only one reason: Low temperatures. Gouramis thrive in temperatures of 74 to 79 degrees fahrenheit. If you haven't installed a heater in your aquarium, chances are that low temperatures are causing their lethargic behaviour...

If raising the temperature doesn't work, I don't know if there's anything else you can do about the Gouramis, I wish you luck in your journey as a fish hobbyist and hope they thrive with you!
Old 06-21-2021, 04:47 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thank you for the ideas. Sadly, it's too late and also the temperature was in that range. But now I have an idea for anyone in the same situation. I was told that gouramis are very susceptible to change in ph. Even what seems small may be too much for them. For instance from the fish store to home might both be in the normal range, but might give them problems. I also wish I had thought to give them Stress Coat. I hope this helps anyone else with a similar problem.
Old 06-21-2021, 08:09 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by margiel View Post
Thank you for the ideas. Sadly, it's too late and also the temperature was in that range. But now I have an idea for anyone in the same situation. I was told that gouramis are very susceptible to change in ph. Even what seems small may be too much for them. For instance from the fish store to home might both be in the normal range, but might give them problems. I also wish I had thought to give them Stress Coat. I hope this helps anyone else with a similar problem.

In all honesty ph is by far the least important thing monitored in an aquarium, I highly doubt that led to the death of your fish. Do you not own your own testing kit? That should be your first purchase if not, skip all the additives like stress coat and such and just use water changes with a good conditioner (I use prime) and take the advice given to you by a fish store carefully. Most of the time theyíre just trying to sell you something you donít need or they donít know anymore than you do, it seems like every time I go into one I overhear an employee giving terrible advice or just down right lying so keep that in mind.
Old 06-22-2021, 09:01 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thank you for your good advice!
I only have the test strips to test the water, and don't know how helpful they are so I've been taking the water to the store to test it. I wish I could test the ammonia here, though. I suppose there's something I could buy for that - ideas?
Also since it was a newer tank, I was advised not to change the water too often. I've had it going a couple months now; how often do you recommend? And did you mean you put prime in with the tap water (as opposed to Aqua safe which I've been using)?
Btw, I took the advice of the pet store employee and bought some cheap White Cloud fish to see if the tank is viable, and they are doing fine on day 4. I'm not sure when/if to try gouramis or anything else.
Thanks again for your help.
Old 06-22-2021, 10:56 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Your LFS should have an ammonia liquid test kit you can get. API has one I bought at petsmart. I got that before when I couldnít afford the master kit when I first started
Old 06-22-2021, 12:17 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Great! I aspire for you to keep your fish and them living a long life Some fish are more delicate than others, but the important thing is to keep learning from the lessons your life gives you.

Tags
bottom, dying, fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com