Fish spinning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yahooandgoogle

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi I brought a fish home from a tank at work. It was laying on the bottom of the tank at first I thought it had died. Then it started to move but was spinning around. I removed it from the tank and it is now in a large bowl with water which has had water conditioner added to it.
I am going to connect an air bubbler tomorrow I just need to get some tubing at the pet store.
I have read it could be whirling disease called by a parasite. So far I have given the fish peas which the fish has eaten them all. I thought maybe it was swim bladder. It is not spinning as much now and swimming a lot better. Anything else I can do to help? The other fish in the tank which he came from are fine I did a water change and added some aquarium salt just in case.
Any chance I could save this fish? It's a common gold fish one of the silver ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Could have been shock, how did you acclimate? It can also be caused by nitrite poisoning. What kind of fish? How long has your tank been running?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's not my tank but it's cycled the ammonia is 0 nitrite is 0 ph 7.4 and nitrate 10-20

I got the fish from the tank at my work the other fish started to nip him as he was weak. Also I didn't want the kids in the classroom to see the fish that way.

Thanks for answering my question sadly he died :-(

Thanks I tried to help him but he was just lying flat on the bottom of his tank and then if you went near him would spin out of control it was really sad. I looked into it and it sounded like he had whirling disease? I'd never heard about it before it's a parasite they get very contagious and no cure :-( he had all the symptoms. I was worried about the other fish but they are fine. I did a few water changes and added some salt.

unfortunatly i personally dont feel that many fish stores look at gold fish as a fish for a pet or aquarium, they buy in such large amounts because so many people use them as feeder fish... i feel horrible for any fish that goes home as a feeder... I have saved a few gold fish grew them up big enough so a store could sell them as pond fish... i guess i feel thats better than having no chance at all.

Back
Top Bottom