Fish stay at bottom of tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bobby56

Aquarium Advice Freak
OK I have a 30 gal tank I have 5 golden barbs, 3 neons, 2 Plecos, 1 swordtail and 1 Cory cat. Most of them use to come to the top to eat but now they act scared when I'm around the tank, and just hang out at the bottom all the time and hide, well the neons aren't scared they just stay around the bottom. Anyone know what could be causing this scared behavior? I am sort of new to everything I have had tanks for about a year now

Bobby56 said:
OK I have a 30 gal tank I have 5 golden barbs, 3 neons, 2 Plecos, 1 swordtail and 1 Cory cat. Most of them use to come to the top to eat but now they act scared when I'm around the tank, and just hang out at the bottom all the time and hide, well the neons aren't scared they just stay around the bottom. Anyone know what could be causing this scared behavior? I am sort of new to everything I have had tanks for about a year now

You have some schooling fish without schools so that would make them skittish. The neons will naturally hang around the bottom half of the tank. Up the number I their school to 6 or 8 and add some taller plants (fake or real) to make them more comfortable.
The Cory needs some friends of the same kind of cory. So add at least 3 more.
What kind of plecos?
Are the barbs picking on any other fish?
The flying fox doesn't belong in a 30g. They get too large IMO and as they mature can terrorize other fish.

Thanks. I purchased the tank from someone and the "common" Plecos I know to big also lol the barbs and swordtail came with the tank. And the tetras flying fox and Cory I had in my first fish tank a 10 gal. I brought them not doing any research. Now I know a little more and would have probably never got the flying fox, but he is prob my favorite fish :(. I purchased alot of artificial plants online and are awaiting there arrival most medium and large.

The barbs are actually peaceful, but they are the ones that are acting skittish. They use to be really comfortable with me. They would come to the top when I walked in the door hoping for me to drop some food in. Now they dart around and hide

Back
Top Bottom