Fish tank with velvet. Help have plecos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Use Kordon rid ich plus or Hikari Ich-x. They are same stuff basically. Both are safe for all fish, just not for invertebrates like shrimp and snails. Also a half dose if there are tetras. Both work great, I've used both brands. Just follow directions and they'll treat fungal infections including velvet

Use Kordon rid ich plus or Hikari Ich-x. They are same stuff basically. Both are safe for all fish, just not for invertebrates like shrimp and snails. Also a half dose if there are tetras. Both work great, I've used both brands. Just follow directions and they'll treat fungal infections including velvet

Can I use general cure? It’s the only thing I saw in petco.

Think you want a product containing malachite green. Kordon would be best

Think you want a product containing malachite green. Kordon would be best

IMG_5049.jpg this is the one I found. Says it’s natural and safe for plecos and plants. What you guys think. Is this or general cure for api. That’s all they had. I order others on amazon but won’t get here until Wednesday. That’s too late. :-/. I got like
100 fish in the tank. So don’t wanna risk waiting. I read velvet like lights. So I have them off and the fish in the dark.

Thank you both for all your help. Some of these fish are 5 years old. So this really suck. :-(

That’s the one I order in amazon but comes in on wednesday. I don’t wanna wait that long.my tank is freshwater why does it matter if it reef safe? The only two I could find in the store today were general cure and the reef safe one.
Reefs are extremely delicate and respond poorly to malachite green and copper, you dont have a reef to keep safe, you want to nuke that velvet. The reef safe treatment is not enough power. General cure will not do a thing. You can try the herbal one until the red label shows up.

Last edited:
Got it. And red label is safe for plecos correct? I got like 30 plecos they were born in the tank. Thanks for much.

Thank you all. Will try with ich attack until I get the other one. I hope they survive. Already lost 3 bala sharks. The rest r behaving okay. Hiding a bit but swimming and eating. Since I turned off the lights I think they r doing a little better.

Started the first treatment of ich attack and so far everyone seem fine. There not eating much... check water and I got

7.4 ph
.25 ammonia (had the tank for 5 years and it always reads .25 in the api test. I heard api testing kit has that issue)
0 nitrite
0 nitrate

Got like 30-40 bristlenose plecos they are not hiding they are stuck to the glass. Not really excited to eat. And sometimes go to the top to and come back down. This is not normal they love their agale pellets and are normally hiding. However the light been off for about 1.5 days. Maybe like it dark they are out??

My 3 angel fish has one or both gill clamped and are sitting in the bottom. Not interested in food. One is swimming around more actively but their gill is really red. Looks really red. Kinda looks like ammonia poison but ammonia is fine. What can it be?

Got a rainbow shark which is hiding but is rubbing to things and sand.

Got a blue chchild and that’s the one that seem to have white spots. Kinda golden. And he is eating and swimming okay. Just has white spots.

Got some gourami which seem to be eating and swimming okay. Maybe a little slowly and less than normal but they seem okay.

I put extra air bubblers in the tank. Cover the tank up with a towel for full darkness.

Water temperature is 78.

I lost 6 fish in the last 2-3 days. They were roseline barbs and they had faded color with white spot. That’s why I am assuming is velvet. I did put new plants about a week ago. Before then they were all okay.

I am worry about the angel fish the most. Sometimes they use both they gill and sometimes only one. One fish has their gill very very red. And they white spot on the gill and it seem rid. Here are some pictures. Is this really velvet?

Some of these fish are 5 years old while the youngest are about 1 year old. I don’t want to loose any more fish.

Treating with ich attack since this afternoon. Will get the recommend one red label on Tuesday from amazon.

What else can I do? Getting an heater tomorrow. Should I heat up the water? Should I keep them in the dark. What can I put in the food to make them want to eat. What smells good for them. I got them bloodworm but they get here on Tuesday.

Pics included. :-(IMG_5016.jpgIMG_5026.jpgIMG_5027.jpgIMG_5031.jpg

Forgot to mention for the last 2 days I been during water changes. Does this help?

Yes, changes help. I'd say feeding not really an issue yet, a couple of days w/o food won't hurt them. I don't know what your diagnosis is. Sounds parasitic. If it was my tank, I'd treat simultaneously for parasites like gill flukes and the ich/fungus. General cure or Prazipro are my go to meds.

The med is hard on them, but doing nothing is going to leave you with a tank of dead fish anyway, so do what you can to clear it up imo. Always qt plants too, they can be as nasty as new fish. Sorry you lost your roselines. I have 13 of them. So pretty. And not cheap either

Yes, changes help. I'd say feeding not really an issue yet, a couple of days w/o food won't hurt them. I don't know what your diagnosis is. Sounds parasitic. If it was my tank, I'd treat simultaneously for parasites like gill flukes and the ich/fungus. General cure or Prazipro are my go to meds.

So your saying put both meds in the tank at the same time??? I never had to deal with sick fish.... I guess been very lucky. Stupid plants.... :-( I left them outside the tank for a week in a bucket outside. Guess it wasn’t enough. Have u put both meds in the tank with plecos? I don’t have prazipro. But I got general cure. And I get Tuesday ich rid med. now I am just using the ich attack thing. Thanks so much.

Back
Top Bottom