Fish Tanks and Human Disease: FYI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
wow, I knew that you could get infections if you had any open woulds, But that's why I only clean it out when my hands are in a good condition. I think you should also wash your hands before and after the cleaning.

This one has been around for a long time. If you are in good health, wash reguarly, have no fear.... you won't catch anything. If your tank is so filthy that it "would" harbor any of these diseases, you should be shot anyway.

snapcrackler said:
justmy2cents said:
Looks like I et me some gloves. :( No more letting my fav. female betta swim up into my hands and lay there. :(

There's probably more bad bacteria on the door handles at work than there is in your tank... I do not know this as fact, but I'd bet a cool twenty bucks on it. If you stuck your cut hand in a box full of freshly used door handles and rubbed it around, I'd be a lot more worried about infection from that.

I would not avoid doing something cool like holding a betta because of a concern about the bacteria. :(

When I was a kid I would swim in Mom and Dad's pond, through muck and algae that would make you gag. If there's not weird bacteria in there I dunno where it would be. :) But anyway I am still alive and somewhat coherent with only minimal brain damage.

Exactly!

Ever use a public phone? :(
And have you seen the news on make-up in the department stores?! :cry:

Just remember: a sterile tank is a SICK tank. There has to be some bacteria available to cycle the tank. If good fish-keeping practices are followed there should NOT be any dangerous to health viruses/bacteria.

If you use some common sense (why isn't that more common anyway) you shouldn't be in any serious danger from your tanks. Of course there is the odd disease like fish TB where you should take extraordinary precautions.

Back
Top Bottom