Fish TB, what to do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alyxx

Aquarium Advice Addict
So after a nice run of having happy healthy tanks, I am just about certain one of my guppies has TB. After her last birth, her back started to curve, which I originally attributed to the fact that she is the oldest of my guppies and has given birth many times. She is still swimming and eating ok, but she has started to get the telltale blistering of TB. Last night I decided it would probably be best to euthanize her, the symptoms are looking pretty severe and I know TB is usually fatal and untreatable. To make all of this even worse, I am in the process of moving and I don't have quarantine space right now. I barely have living space with all the boxes, but i could put her in a bucket and try treating her if it seems like it is worth a try. My main question is what to do about the rest of the tank. As I am moving this week, I'm thinking I should tear down the tank and clean everything with bleach when I move it, then start treatment with an antibiotic when I get it all set up for the rest of the fish. I have lots of buckets and can keep the tanks inhabitants in there until I can get the tank cleaned. Does this seem like a solid plan, or should I try a different route with that tank? None of the other inhabitants are showing any symptoms, and if it helps it is a 20 gallon housing two other guppy adults and maybe 7 or 8 juvenile guppies and a female betta. Her latest batch of fry are contained in a little self contained breeding cup. Should I worry that all of her new fry are infected? Also, what antibiotic should I use? I have never had to use an antibiotic for my fish, I have only ever had to deal with parasites and a fungal infection before. Thanks in advance! Off to get the sick guppy into a bucket before I have to go to work!

EDIT : I know it can be transmitted to humans and I plan on doing all I can to protect myself!

Got some pictures and noticed her tail is shredded now too. She has been moved to a bucket with some melafix until I can get some better meds.

Aww sorry to hear about that, there are alot of post here recently about fish TB and I have never experienced it, but it seems like euthenizing the fish is the best thing but there are treatments if you wanted to try.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up euthanizing the sick fish. I'm more concerned with treating the tank so it doesn't end up killing everyone.

Alyxx said:
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up euthanizing the sick fish. I'm more concerned with treating the tank so it doesn't end up killing everyone.

I have always been against treating the entire tank unless there is no choice because it kills the cycle but with this stuff it might be the best thing, try and get as much info as possible first.

I'm not too worried about having to start the cycle over, at the very least I am going to bleach the tank down when I move it. I'm going to have to break down all my tanks for a day or so anyway because I am moving. I have other healthy tanks that I can use to seed the filters with as well. To me, cycling is less of a big deal than having to worry about TB.

Moving tanks isn't fun but at least it is good motivation to break this one down and get the disease taken care of sooner rather than later. Anyone know if tb is gram positive or gram negative?

Thanks, I'm going to try and get some antibiotics tomorrow. Btw, your inbox is full.

Woo! All tanks are set up again, and the infected tank is clean and all inhabitants look fine. Lost the sick one this morning, though.

Even though the new place is only like three minutes away, it really did suck! I'm so glad that part of the move is over, and in true aquarist style, the fish tanks are pretty much the only things that aren't still in boxes other than the bed and the tv.

Alyxx said:
Thanks, I'm going to try and get some antibiotics tomorrow. Btw, your inbox is full.

I would be carefull especially if you have children. I have always read the fish TB can be passed to humans in some form.

Fishy Aston said:
Can you move him into a quartine ank until he gets better

I hope he does good luck :)

Lost the sick one a few days ago, she was quarantined in a bucket. Didn't have a chance to pick up any antibiotics but she was too far gone for them to do any help anyway, I qt'd her so she wouldn't get eaten when she died and pass it on that way. Apparently that is the main way the fish will give it to each other.

Fish TB is Mycobacterium marinum, which is related to the bacteria that causes tuberculosis (tb) in humans, and it can be passed to humans as a skin infection. In fish, it causes a bent spine, paling of colors, and skin lesions.

But, the scare is pretty much over, the tank has been cleaned, all fish are doing well, and sometime later this week I will bleach all of my fish tools like the siphons and nets. Once I can get somewhat unpacked. May I state one more time, moving sucks. And now it sucks worse because my car decided to die on me yesterday and is still sitting by the interstate. One more thing to deal with before I can focus on my tanks again...

Back
Top Bottom