Fish with Injured Tail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PMitchell

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all. I'm new to this site, so far very useful. In fact, this is my first post! Hurray!

A couple of weeks ago, my White Cloud Mountain Minnow lost its rear or caudal fin in an accident with a powerhead. I was told at the time to leave it and the only action I would need to take was if an infection appeared. And I fear this has happened. Before now, the injury just looked like he was missing the tail, but now white markings and discolouring around the injury (see attached photo) have appeared and the tail is off to the side and not straight in line with his body. He used to be just as active as the others, but now he has become more slow and is hovering away from the others.

I got six White Cloud Mountain Minnows for my 30 litre tank from a repected and trustworthy shop about 3 weeks ago and the fish has been injured for the same amount of time. I got it then. I didn't quarantine them (saw no need) but the tank was cycled and used already established water. Current water readings using test strips (as of 5 minutes ago) are Ammonia 0/0.5, Nitrate 25, Nitrite 0, GH 500, KH 180, pH 7.2.
I feed them tropical flake food crushed up. He eats just as well as always.
Nothing new added to tank, they have only been in there for 3 weeks and the accident happened a few days after there introduction.
The filter I use is a Tetra EasyCrystal 250 which, after testing, cyles the tank water 6 times an hour.
I have been changing about a fifth or sixth of the water every couple of days since they arrived, with dechlorinating liquid.

I hope the info helps (and that I havn't spammed) and all suggestions as to further steps appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• P9040385 2.jpg
    P9040385 2.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 103
Hi all. I'm new to this site, so far very useful. In fact, this is my first post! Hurray!

A couple of weeks ago, my White Cloud Mountain Minnow lost its rear or caudal fin in an accident with a powerhead. I was told at the time to leave it and the only action I would need to take was if an infection appeared. And I fear this has happened. Before now, the injury just looked like he was missing the tail, but now white markings and discolouring around the injury (see attached photo) have appeared and the tail is off to the side and not straight in line with his body. He used to be just as active as the others, but now he has become more slow and is hovering away from the others.

I got six White Cloud Mountain Minnows for my 30 litre tank from a repected and trustworthy shop about 3 weeks ago and the fish has been injured for the same amount of time. I got it then. I didn't quarantine them (saw no need) but the tank was cycled and used already established water. Current water readings using test strips (as of 5 minutes ago) are Ammonia 0/0.5, Nitrate 25, Nitrite 0, GH 500, KH 180, pH 7.2.
I feed them tropical flake food crushed up. He eats just as well as always.
Nothing new added to tank, they have only been in there for 3 weeks and the accident happened a few days after there introduction.
The filter I use is a Tetra EasyCrystal 250 which, after testing, cyles the tank water 6 times an hour.
I have been changing about a fifth or sixth of the water every couple of days since they arrived, with dechlorinating liquid.

I hope the info helps (and that I havn't spammed) and all suggestions as to further steps appreciated. Thanks

Welcome!! I hope you get all the help you ever need and you enjoy coming here for anything you need!!

I'm not familiar with minnows. I have dealt with many tail issues, though. Does it look like there's been any new growth on his tail? If there's no new growth after this long, I'd say quarantine him and use an antibiotic. New growth usually starts showing up fairly quickly.

I would highly suggest getting a liquid test kit. I say from personal experience that they are much more accurate than strips. I'm not sure how long you've been owning fish, so if I'm giving redundant advice, I apologize. You'll wanna be sure to test before your water changes. This will tell you how much you need to change.

Again, welcome to AA!!!

Thanks very much for your advice. No, there has been barely any regrowth, so I'll have to take your advice and quarantine.

Can you give me some advice about what a quarantine is? I dont have any other tanks, would a large tub work? What antibiotics would you advice for this case? How long should I keep him there? Any other quarantine advice, info, suggestions and tips would be much appreciated.

I have kept fish before but have never had to deal with a situation like this. Thanks for your help. (y)

Thanks very much for your advice. No, there has been barely any regrowth, so I'll have to take your advice and quarantine.

Can you give me some advice about what a quarantine is? I dont have any other tanks, would a large tub work? What antibiotics would you advice for this case? How long should I keep him there? Any other quarantine advice, info, suggestions and tips would be much appreciated.

I have kept fish before but have never had to deal with a situation like this. Thanks for your help. (y)

A quarantine is putting the fish by himself in a tank in order to treat him or her without hurting the other fish or causing antibiotic resistance in them. If you use a large tub, I would say to get a large clear one with a filter on it. This way you can see all the time if his tail is beginning to respond without taking him out every day and causing him more stress. As for antibiotics, Maracyn I and II are good ones. There's another one that's name is escaping me. I'll find it after class. Do not use Melafix. It is not an antibiotic and won't really do anything to help the situation. Leave him in there a couple days past the last day of medicating. Make sure to go the full time and closely follow the directions. It's okay if you have to go a second round, but both have to be complete.

Back
Top Bottom