Fishies dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Holla0

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So my fish are dying, trying to save them but only one Molly left (3/4 passed so far). Picture below are parameters. I have a 10g, gravel substrate, no live plants. Temp ~76*, started with a tetra pf10, switched yesterday to a penguin 100. Two air stones also. Tetras and the Molly have been in for just short of six weeks, and the catfish for two weeks. It wasn't completely done cycling as the parameters show.

I posted a week ago about my ammonia being real high and I have managed to keep it a lot lower with daily 50% WC and conditioned with Prime. The pictus catfish was the first to go yesterday, the tetras both passed today. The parameters below we're a couple hours before the catfish died.

Not sure if it's a disease that maybe the catfish brought in, or the ammonia just got to them even though it's been lower lately...if I do lose the Molly what do I do next?

Any help would be appreciated.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395107335.555806.jpg

Yessir I did. Within a few hours of changing the catfish passed.

I'm a girl but that's not important.

Good that you saved the media. Just trying to narrow down the issue here.

I forgot to mention none of the fish show any physical issues. They look fine, then a few hours later get real slow and lethargic, then die a couple more hours later.

So I woke up this morning and she is barely alive, but with no physical signs of anything and parameters are all fine, it makes it a little hard to know what direction to go.

aquarium may not be "mature" enough and the fish just couldn't handle the spikes...

Just added some salt, she's still alive and perks up when I open the lid. Parameters look fine still, will update in the morning.

Got home from a night of baseball and pizza with the family, found her wedged in the air lines, thought she was a goner... Her gills were flapping so there was still hope. I went into water change mode, switched out about ~50% or so as usual, conditioned with Prime each one gallon load (just a drop or so per gallon). Finished up and added another teaspoon of salt... She's swimming around like her normal happy to lucky self!!! She even managed to eat a few flakes I gave her. Hope this isn't the last hurrah. I'll update when I get a chance in the morning.

Best of luck. I had the same type of experience, but it was much worse. I hope your Molly lives! I'm sorry about your other fish.

She's still alive, gonna start doing 2 water changes per day now.

Got home and noticed a white patch on her abdomen (thinking ich now) the best regimen I am seeing is ich meds and raising temp gradually to 86'. Unfortunately my heater is not adjustable so I will have to get another one....

Found a top fin 50 watt filter for 10.00, and some API ich treatment. I'm a little nervous about the meds in the water. So I was thinking of getting the temp up to 86' and water changes with salt for a week or so and see if it clears up, if not then try the meds.. Any thoughts?

Looks like the spot is gone, and she seems to be coming out a little more, the tank ~85*, so I bumped it up a smidge, and will keep up with the water changes and salt... Maybe in a few more days she will be back to normal and I can bring a few more fish back in.

I would wait a few days to maybe a few weeks before bringing in another fish. It may not be safe.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I agree. You want to make sure that the disease is completely gone before risking more fish (for your sanity and their health). After all, quarantine lasts at least two weeks so you should wait at least that long.

You're right, I'm just impatient and the tank is boring with one fish now. I'll just hold temp around 86' for a few more days the. Gradually bring it down to ~77 or so and see how she does.

Just pay a lot of attention to her. They are really interesting if you take the time to. And they'll love you forever!

Back
Top Bottom