Fishies dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good luck holla0. I have had a few fish reach the point you described and it often doesn't end well. I hope your luck is better!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Keeping hope alive, she is just sitting at the top of the water, she isn't eating much either, maybe the heat getting to her. But the spot is gone, so I'm thinking she will be ok.

She is back to normal!!! Thanks for everyone's help!!Tank is back to ~76 and she seems happy. I am having a clouding issue though, not sure what it is but water changes will eventually sort it out. Ammonia still in there. I think the new filter may have messed the cycle up.

Yeah sounds quite likely that it interrupted the cycle. All will balance with time and water changes. Great to hear she made it.

Is your tank cycled? There are some excellent guides on how to properly cycle your tank. If your tank is cycled, then I don't know what to tell you. Might be your ammonia levels... they are pretty high.

Thanks guys, it is not completely cycled, it was real close then fishies started dying, so I got a new filter and even though I stuck in some old media it probably started all over again.

Thanks guys, it is not completely cycled, it was real close then fishies started dying, so I got a new filter and even though I stuck in some old media it probably started all over again.

That explains a lot. I would keep just that 1 fish in untill your cycle stabilizes.

This tank in my opinion was never cycled nor id it now if your still getting ammonia levels. Read up on fishless cycling. In my opinion your fish took the down turn because of high ammonia levels.
Oh and if your planning on putting more mollies back in this tank like you had before they died, then expect this to happen again.
Mollies are highly unsuitable for your 10g. For one they need more swimming space. The second reason is they have a heavy bioload. They will produce more ammonia than your tank can handle.
Neon tetras are also thought to be unsuitable for a 10g but only because of a lack of swimming space

I agree the tank is not cycled. I only ever had the one Molly, I'm not putting more in. My ammonia levels are no more than .5 ppm now and that's on a bad day. I throw prime in with every water change. So I'm going the right direction.

Holla0- on your next water test post all 3 results for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates if you could or wanted to. It would help us see where its at in cycle. Its possible to end up in a seemingly unending cycle if you can't get your beneficial bacteria up and levels balanced. Good luck! Sounds like your on the right path.

I sure will as soon as I get home tonight, I did two yesterday. But I will post a pic this time. I'll post pre and post.

I'm not the best at reading these. Looks to me like 1 ppm, 0 ppm, and 5 ppm pre water change. Still in cycle no doubt. Try an ammonia lock product if you if have one. Above all for no reason change the filter media for at least 2 months. I would say with those levels and your water change reg you should be through cycle within two weeks. That is at least what I would expect to see. If not you may need to look at more mechanical filtration at that point. How many GPH are you currently filtering?

100 gph. I'm starting to get algae in the tank too, not sure if that's causing some if the cloudiness.

Once the tank is restocked you could probably use a few more gph mechanical filtration. As it sits now you should be solid. Once those BB counts get up it will seemingly run itself. Glad to hear she is hanging in there and that your going the extra mile to save her. Just be careful not to overstock an uncycled tank in the future. Best of luck.

I agree that part of the issue was picking the wrong fish for a 10g. Pictus and Mollies need much bigger tanks. I recommend 30g or bigger for Mollies.

I would start thinking of rehoming the Molly and pick better stock suited for your tank.

I prefer Nano fish in my 10g tanks, but that's me. I do easy plants and wood and natural looking tanks.

A single Betta is good. Or
A group of the little Rasboras or a Shrimp tank would work.

Neons can work, but 10g are small for them. I prefer my Celestial Pearl Danios.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
4uguqe5e.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396293975.542279.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396293975.542279.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 33
Back
Top Bottom