fishmergency!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

herp_mommy

Aquarium Advice Addict
so my big, 6" blue diamond female started headstanding and laying down today. I assume she has a swim bladder problem. I read in one of my discus health books that this can be caused by inflammation of the ovaries. She has not laid eggs since I've had her, about 5 months. Don't know if this is the reason behind it or not. Either way, I've got her set up in a 10 gal with about 6-7gal of water, plenty of O2, and the temp at 86. I added the recommended dose of aquarium salt, because I read it could help with the GI tract, figured it couldn't hurt. I was reading that there are no actual medicinal treatments for swim bladder problems, but has anyone had any success with any? Or anyone recommend the next course of action? I really don't want to have to euthanize her.

Attachments

• bluediamond.jpg
    bluediamond.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 74
Thats heartbreaking- she is a beautiful fish! Fancy goldies are prone to SB issues so I can only offer some of the suggestions that occasionally have success with them. Feed a mix of cooked spinach & brine shrimp. If the issue is related to a digestive problem, this may help. Epsom salt baths (1tsp/g) can also help with digestive issues. Infections are a possibility as well though these are difficult to diagnose. Metromeds (metronizadole med food)/metro in the water or injections baytril sometimes help in these cases. Unfortunately though, there is no guarenteed cure. I wish you luck!

thanks for the tips jlk.
Good news is that she's righted herself today. She's not headstanding anymore and is flapping her fins less often

I think she's better, I placed her back into the main tank and she's swimming around just fine now. Healthy appetite and interacting with the others :)

Back
Top Bottom