Flashing, but I don't think it's Ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

babybetta

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Some of my fish have been flashing. I got really frustrated because they had I had already treated them for ich about a month ago with RidIch. It seemed to work because the dots went away and the itching stopped.

Then a few weeks later, some of them are back at it. I just assumed it was Ich and that I hadn't treated it sufficiently the first time. I had made extra sure to treat for several days after the fish stopped flashing the first time. So they went through another round of RidIch for a couple weeks which should have been plenty of time to kill any ich organisms in the water.

I hated to have to put them through that toxic stuff again. I had already tried salt and raising the temperaure to no avail.

I see them flash, and look very closely for any of those familiar white dots on their fins and bodies, and not a thing. I'm looking really hard, too, flashlight and everything.

So after all that, two good rounds of malachite green and formalin (their poor little livers), is it possible that I'm still dealing with Ich? What else would cause them to flash like that? Is it parasites or something? What should I do about it if I am reluctant to use more chemicals on them?

I had already tried salt and raising the temperaure to no avail.
How long did you try it?
My cichlids "flash" all the time, but there is never anything wrong. They seem to "show off" to other fish in this fashion also. I do not suggest treating the tank unless there is something to treat. In the meantime, watch your fish closely.

Hmm, it is mostly the White Cloud minnows that were doing it. They are kind of show-offy to each other and will often hover side-by-side with all fins held open stiffly. My concern came when I two fish of different species doing it, too, but only a couple times. I have been watching them and the behavior is almost gone now. I just wanted to make sure I was being neither negligent by ignoring a problem nor overreacting.

You do know your supposed to raise the tank temp to above 88 degrees and leave it there for two or more weeks to get rid of the ich?

Back
Top Bottom