Flashing fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brittany_b415

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 46 gallon with a biowheel 350 and a Aquaclear 30. My tank inhabitants are 6 adult guppies, 4 juvenile guppies, about 60 fry, 3 bumblebee platys, 4 Cory cats and 2 African dwarf frogs. I added 2 of the cories and 3 of the platys a few days ago. I noticed yesterday one of my old cories hardcore flashing on rocks. He's eating off the bottom but giving a little flick towards his gills. This morning when I woke up I seen one of my adult guppies doing the same and one of my juvenile guppies doing it too. I came home from work today and it's still happening. I've looked at all my fish closely and there's no signs of Ich or spots or sores on any of them visible to my eye. I did do a 50% water change with a gravel vac yesterday as my nitrates were in the high 40s. My readings are (tested with API master kit) 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 20 nitrate. I treat my water with prime and the only thing I don't differently was added some melafix (waaaaay below the recommended dosage) and API stress coat. I was thinking of upping my temperature in case it was Ich. Unsure about adding aquarium salt due to compatability and if I do have to treat my tank who should I put in my 5 gallon? ( was thinking obviously my frogs). Also my biowheel has built in carbon so with meds how do I get it out?. Any help would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I doubt its ick. In my many years of guppy experience i have only had ick once. and that was velvet...not regular ick. Sometimes they just flash to scratch something. You can keep guppies at 82 degrees and they will be comfortable anyways. For as long as you want. Maybe someone else who knows alot about ick will chime in, its never been much of a problem for me.

I doubt its ick. In my many years of guppy experience i have only had ick once. and that was velvet...not regular ick. Sometimes they just flash to scratch something. You can keep guppies at 82 degrees and they will be comfortable anyways. For as long as you want. Maybe someone else who knows alot about ick will chime in, its never been much of a problem for me.

I know but my cories are doing it to which leads me to suspect that there's something more than just an itch. I've had him since September and he's never done it!

When was the last time you added something to your tank from another tank (besides one of your own)- including fish, plants, decor, etc. Ich is either in your tank and infecting fish or it isn't in your tank at all- it dies after a certain amount of time without a host and due to the nature of its life cycle it should quickly make itself apparent if it's present. Other common fish diseases are present in your water at all times but not ich. So if you haven't added anything in the last month or two it can't be ich.

When was the last time you added something to your tank from another tank (besides one of your own)- including fish, plants, decor, etc. Ich is either in your tank and infecting fish or it isn't in your tank at all- it dies after a certain amount of time without a host and due to the nature of its life cycle it should quickly make itself apparent if it's present. Other common fish diseases are present in your water at all times but not ich. So if you haven't added anything in the last month or two it can't be ich.

I added three platys and two cories to my tank within the last month. The cories and platys I added are not flashing. It's one of the cories I've had a while and same with my guppies. I didn't quarantine them and it's my own stupid fault. If it's something I want to nip it now before it gets bad.

In that case it could be ich but it could also be anything. Sometimes my healthy and happy fish flash for no reason. Erybody's gotta itch right? I would watch for any other symptoms because otherwise flashing could be a sign of anything or a sign of nothing. Also, I wouldn't bother with melafix. It's a weak antibiotic. Once you have an idea of what you're treating you can use a medication that will actually be effective.

In that case it could be ich but it could also be anything. Sometimes my healthy and happy fish flash for no reason. Erybody's gotta itch right? I would watch for any other symptoms because otherwise flashing could be a sign of anything or a sign of nothing. Also, I wouldn't bother with melafix. It's a weak antibiotic. Once you have an idea of what you're treating you can use a medication that will actually be effective.

I'll just keep an eye out for white spots or velvet, or anything that looks strange. My nitrates are back up to 40 already. I don't understand what's happening. Perhaps my filters need a squeeze! Will do another PWC tomorrow to try and remove the crap I put in. Just using melafix in my hospital tank for a guppy I have who has a very nipped tail (special thanks to a ******* guppy lol) I heard it works for that.

Ich manifest in the gills where rarely seen by the naked eye.
The frogs are going to be a medicating issue IMO.
Rid ich plus even if it isn't ich!!!!
Look at the numerous disease the two active ingredients treat.

Ich | The Skeptical Aquarist
KNOW THE ENEMY!

KNOW THE ENEMY!

That's what I thought. I can move the frogs to my 5 gallon quarantine. I do have a guppy in there that I put there two days ago that I can put back in my 46 and treat. How about my fry? Would I do half a dose? Or would I just try the heat treatment first.

KNOW THE ENEMY!

True but, typically it will show up on the skin and fins sooner rather than later, just by the very nature of how ich reproduces and spreads. I agree about the rid ich plus.

Melafix is just super diluted tea tree oil... It's a weak antibiotic.

Back
Top Bottom