Flashing for fun?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

derail

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey everyone, been slightly concerned about some fish and after debating with my wife for a while, decided to turn to the helpful ladies and gents for a decision.
In my 30g tank, which has an aqua-tech 60g filter and pair of airstones, I have a community of livebearers. A platy and molly have been acting funky, and from what I've researched, it appears to be flashing. They will swim around causally, then approach a leaf, and swim very rapidly, rubbing their side against the leaf.
The platy and molly both recently had an issue with some scales appearing distended slightly, which had since then healed with salt baths (blamed a CAE I had a few days ago,) which happens to be the side they scratch. I also have a guppy that is sort of scratching as well.
I can see no external parasites, signs of fungus or ich, and the flashing seems random and infrequent. My wife argues they are having fun, as while they do scratch/flash several times a day, its not constant.
Parameters are in check, ph 8.4, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 10.
Also, I recently added some ivy to the tank, snipped part of it and used for decoration. The ivy is growing well, and the fish like nibbling on it every now and then. Could the ivy be causing the behavior, as the fish only flash against it, not rocks, gravel or anything?

velvet is hard to see but causes itching like you mentioned. if they are rubbing them selves raw then the a definitely not having a good time. stick a flash light to your tank and see if there is a gold almost dust looking substance over thier bodies. your right to be worried if there is.

That's just it, I've scanned the fish several times now and there if no indication of infection or parasite on then. I've considered treating for flukes just in case but the fish appear healthy, not gasping for air, fins aren't clamped-everything seems normal

i wouldnt put meds in yet. what are your water tests coming back as? if ammonia spikes just a little the poisoning will mimic other illnesses

have you tried using a little aquarium salt? thats the safe route if you really feel the need some help

If one fish flashes, yeah, it might just be normal behavior for that fish. If three are doing it? I'd have to think there's something going on in the tank. I'd do lots of water changes, add some salt (dose appropriate for your species) and observe closely.

That's what I've been doing. I add aquarium salt for the sake of my mollies, and have been doing water changes. The only thing that has changed is that ivy I put in there.
Parameters-0, 0, .5 after water change of 6g. Ph 8.4

I think i'm going to. I haven't noticed any flashing today though. Consequently, this is a separate question, but I don't want to keep boggling the site with new posts. Can rock seemingly formed from mud be used in a tank? I found some great looking rock today, but when submerged in water for cleaning, the surface stays slimy feeling after some scrubbing.

No it's not. I keep part of it out around the hood for decoration. Looks really nice, and is sprouting still

Yes, based off pictures I've been examining, Epipremnum aureum? Pothos. Will post a pic for verification tomorrow, can't tonight without waking the wife

derail said:
Yes, based off pictures I've been examining, Epipremnum aureum? Pothos. Will post a pic for verification tomorrow, can't tonight without waking the wife

Well I lied, managed to get a pair of pictures. Thanks for all the support!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120510_012904.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120510_012904.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 58
  • ForumRunner_20120510_012926.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120510_012926.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 62
Pothos is toxic to dogs and cats, however, there has been no real proof that it shows that same toxicity to fish. That said, would I use it? Heck no.

Yeah I agree. I wouldn't use that either. I have pothos growing outside and it looks great, so it won't go to waste if you were to remove it from your tank. I believe if you leave the roots in the water long term they will rot anyway, but I could be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom