Flashing: Parasites or Aggression Display?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman888888

Aquarium Advice Freak
125 gallon community tank
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate 5-10ppm
Kh: 20
Gh: 60
Ph: 7.2

Tanks been cycled and healthy for a year

4 leopard ctenopomas
1 black angel
5 blue gouramis
9 bosemani rainbows (6 f, 3 m)

The issue is with the blue gouramis only.... they are the only fish in the tank that flash.
They only flash on my heater....
Ive had them for a month and theyve been flashing for 3 weeks...
No other fish in the tank flash

I treated the tank with api general cure as a precaution, cause all signs point to parasites...

They seemed to have stopped for a few days, but theyre back to it.

Ive read that gouramis can flash as a display of dominance for one another...and i do have 5...is that probly too many?

Any ideas/experience is appreciated, thanks guus

It's a disease or parasite, maybe Ick.

Yea i know.... they're not bloated, and they all eat a ton... i dont have any symptoms to go on...except 1 type of fish, flashing on one object...

I keep my water clean. 2 x 50% water changes a week.

What could i try? Salt bath?

Well that's an option, but most people tend to turn the temperature up to 86 for about a week or two.

Would that do anything to treat parasites? It might not be ick... i suppose its worth a try though

Another detail - after they flash their colouration is extremely bright, equivalent to when they fight for territories when i rearrange things in the tank.

The only thing I could guess is either they are for some reason re establishing a slime coat and have to remove the old one first, or dead cells need to be removed.

Definitely not chlorine poisoning

What about planaria

...theres what i originally thought to be algae growing on the glass... never seen it before

Doesnt it cause excessive slime coats? Maybe theyre just uncomfortable cause of that

K, it is in fact algae lol

So....parasites are back to my prime suspect

What are the best meds?

Back
Top Bottom