Flipping cartwheel fish for weeks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chillie308

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I have a 55 gallon set up no plants it has about 20 glofish (tetras) and 6 pictus catfish. The prior 7 months everyone's been happy and healthy no issues. For the past 3-4 weeks I have 2 glofish that are acting weird... They flip head over tail and do cartwheels all over the tank. It seems to happen more often right when I turn the lights on for the day or my kids scared them. I thought they were dying but this has been a month now. One is easily caught with a fish net yet the other one that flips the most will run at the sight of a net. Anyone seen this before?

From your description, I was thinking acrobatics, but that fish is definitely in distress. I don't have any insights into why, unfortunately.

Probably parasites or poor water conditions. Do a 50% water change

I do a 75% water change every 10 days my water parameters are always constant I test them before and after every change .... It's not constant flipping they both swim normal then will do that out of no where but I've never seen fish do this and they are surviving the school of pictus some how

Hmmm. Could just come from the genetic modification.

It's why we cull fish. Some just aren't meant for the tank.. you know what to do..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's why we cull fish. Some just aren't meant for the tank.. you know what to do..

People with this attitude make me sick. "Hmm that fish swims funny... kill it." While I have put some fish out of their misery when they were clearly suffering, killing fish because they are crippled is just cruel. If it is eating and seems happy, leave the poor thing alone! Just makes me sick to think of someone that would "cull" a fish just because it's not perfect

While I have put some fish out of their misery when they were clearly suffering, killing fish because they are crippled is just cruel. If it is eating and seems happy, leave the poor thing alone!

I agree with this sentiment completely.

We have a "parapalegic" guppy who can't use her tail but acts like flakes are manna and finds lots of places to rest. That's a happy, crippled fish.

That said, the fish in the video looks like it is desperately and futilely struggling to right itself. I can't speak to its behavior otherwise, but during those episodes, her fish isn't happy.

People with this attitude make me sick. "Hmm that fish swims funny... kill it." While I have put some fish out of their misery when they were clearly suffering, killing fish because they are crippled is just cruel. If it is eating and seems happy, leave the poor thing alone! Just makes me sick to think of someone that would "cull" a fish just because it's not perfect
Alka seltzer??for you not the fish;) if it's a swim bladder issue you're probably not treating it. Is the fish goes bonkers all the time it's potentially stressing the other fish. Fish dart when they feel danger is present. In my tanks I treat fish unless I can't. Than I kill them as fast and painless as I can. I'd give you details but I don't want you to lose your lunch.

Well they can't breed or anything I just never seen anything like it... I don't see anything on any fish I figured if they are weak the pictus would get them.... Just curious what the issue may be ... Kind of like them in there as long as they aren't harming anything or look like they are suffering pretty entertaining my kids love them lol

Its up to the person to cull a fish, but look at it as if you were euthanizing, not simply culling. If it doesnt cause the fish pain, dont do jack. If it does, just end his suffering humanely. What Im against is people breeding those deformed fish for fun, it ruins the line of fish.

Its up to the person to cull a fish, but look at it as if you were euthanizing, not simply culling. If it doesnt cause the fish pain, dont do jack. If it does, just end his suffering humanely. What Im against is people breeding those deformed fish for fun, it ruins the line of fish.

Really need to start a new thread on this as it can/will be a heated topic. I appoologize to the op for directing attention away from the op.

Really need to start a new thread on this as it can/will be a heated topic. I appoologize to the op for directing attention away from the op.

Same here. Sorry op.

from what I have read and been told is culling is to prevent other fish from getting something another fish might have so you cull (euthanize) the ill fish so it doesn't spread to others, I just had to euthanize my centerpiece fish cause it was swimming horizontal instead of up right and would not eat, an i mis understanding the difference between culling and euthanization?

@Potluck Culling is just a general term for killing fish. Allot of people "cull" hybrid cichlids because they don't like to mix bloodlines.

Looks like may be a parasite issue of some sort. Or could be possibly just a defect in its genetic line. But being that you have two of them doing it.. id venture a guess as to a parasite. However there could be more than one fish from the same batch of eggs in the tank. Sooo.... i dont know.

Back
Top Bottom