Floating betta :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pattyfurg

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So iv had my fish pablo for about a year now and he started floating. So at first I thought it was swim bladder so I fast him for a day and he wasn't better so a fasted him for another day and gave him a pea but he didnt eat it. This is his first day of fasting and he's still not any better. He hardly moves other then to gasp for air. He's also been suffering from fin rot for 2 weeks now and iv been treating it with Melafix and doing 50% water changes every day with treated water.
He's really bad now and every now and then he sinks to the bottom tail up.
Please help I started crying yesterday... Yes over a fish. I really don't want him to die :(

pattyfurg said:
So iv had my fish pablo for about a year now and he started floating. So at first I thought it was swim bladder so I fast him for a day and he wasn't better so a fasted him for another day and gave him a pea but he didnt eat it. This is his first day of fasting and he's still not any better. He hardly moves other then to gasp for air. He's also been suffering from fin rot for 2 weeks now and iv been treating it with Melafix and doing 50% water changes every day with treated water.
He's really bad now and every now and then he sinks to the bottom tail up.
Please help I started crying yesterday... Yes over a fish. I really don't want him to die :(

I'm sorry to hear about Pablo. IMO the first thing you need to do is a large PWC to remove the melafix. Melafix is not recommended for labyrinth breathers. It can damage the organ. Clean water and some aquarium salt is all that is needed to treat fin rot.

I got a new tank about a week ago and it's a 3 gallon. Iv put dechlorinated water and an air stone. I have always had him at a steady 80F
I tested the water.
ammonia is 0
Ph is 7.0
Nitrate is 20
Nitride is 0.5

pattyfurg said:
I got a new tank about a week ago and it's a 3 gallon. Iv put dechlorinated water and an air stone. I have always had him at a steady 80F
I tested the water.
ammonia is 0
Ph is 7.0
Nitrate is 20
Nitride is 0.5

A PWC is a good idea to bring the nitrite down. Your tank is still cycling so you will need to keep an eye on it. Try and keep it under 0.25ppm

pattyfurg said:
I tested the water.
ammonia is 0
Ph is 7.0
Nitrate is 20
Nitride is 0.5

Oh, so it isnt cycled? Theres your problem.

Back
Top Bottom