follow up: fin rot situation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tree-Hugger

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I posted about my betta's fin rot situation last week. since then I have controlled the temp in my house to around 80 F, performed daily partial water changes. since things didnt seem to get better for the first three days I started using aquarium salt (1/4 tea spoon per gallon). things appear to have improved since using aquarium salt - or so I think. initially he had clear prominent white cottony stuff appear in his three fin-tentacles (or w/e its called). now the white stuff is not visible under direct light, but the infected region could still be seen in an angle though to a much diminished degree. but what still bothers me is the fact that the infection is now visible in nearby tentacles too... may be I didn't notice the spread out of infection last week. I don't know yet.

mean while, I performed a complete water change yesterday, and today the parameters are way off... ammonia is close to 3 ppm (it was fine until the complete water change), nitrate and nitrite are around 2 ppm. gH and kH are pretty high (120 and 180 ppm respectively) but I live in tucson, and apparently the water here is crazy hard.

now, my question is this: how long does fin rot take to go away. second, I am relocating to NE from AZ. it is going to be a 3 day drive by car and I am bound to take my pet with me. we have exactly 1 month's time. will my pet recover out of this illness in time to survive the car trip?

I had a betta for six years (he died two days ago), and he came down with tail rot once. I never saw anything white and cottony appear though...hmmmmm....you could try to treat the water with Maracyn (an anti-fungal/fin rot water treatment powder). I know that it helped my betta when he came down with fin rot once...I would have to see a picture to know what this cottony stuff you speak of is...but it MIGHT be some sort of fungus. I would treat with Maracyn until you see NOTHING LEFT! The Maracyn worked for my fish in a week, ,so yes, your fish should be all right to travel in a month as long as you properly ready him for traveling.

Back
Top Bottom