found 2 of my corys dead.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZombiesAteMyDog

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 29 gallon tank, using 1 air bubbler, a HOB aquaclear 70 filter, as of last test yesterday I had trace amounts of ammonia ( less than .25 ppm ) from the bacteria catching up after adding some guppies last week, and zero nitrite, and around 20 ppm nitrate.

here is the story.

I was fish in cycling my tank with 6 zebra danios and having a heck of a time, after a while of getting no where I took some LFS advice and added 3 julii cory catfish.

the corys were super active and acting completely normal, one day I did a water test and noticed my ammonia dropping, the next day my ammonia was at zero but the nitrite was totally off the charts, I did a water change and tested the next day and there was no ammonia and no nitrites and kept a close eye on things and my tank had cycled.

however after the large nitrite spike 2 of the corys began to act funky, they were not nearly as active, once in a while they would act normal but the vast majority of the time they would just lay on the bottom of the tank and not move much at all.

it has been about 2 weeks since that nitrite spike and 2 of my 3 corys just died tonight.

I am thinking it is due to the nitrite spike as that is when they first started to act funky, however I can not be 100% sure, right now i got the 2 dead fish in an airtight container filled with tank water, is there anything i can look for on the fish that might point me to a cause of death? either from the nitrite spike or from a sickness / disease I need to worry about?

my other fish ( 6 zebra danio , 5 fancy male guppies, 1 dwarf frog , 1 julii cory ) are all acting completely normal like nothing is wrong at all.

Sorry about your cories :-(

I'd return them to the lfs for store credit. They gave (IMO) stupid advice in suggesting juliis. I'd wait till the tank has been stable a couple of weeks and then get new ones.

yea, the tank is more or less stable now aside from the small spike in ammonia due to the new addition, my next move once everything levels back out and holds steady is to get 3 - 4 more julii cory, right now I have just one, and I would like to ultimately have 5 so they are less stressed - which may also have contributed to their demise.

Back
Top Bottom