Found fish gilling on the gravel with missing fin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tottenham12712

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just came home from work today to find my black skirt tetra on the gravel gilling with a missing fin, I cant find the fin anywhere including the filter there are 2 other tetras in the tank. Im assuming its going to die?

Any advice? Thanks

EDIT: not sure what the fin is called but its the bottom that gives them the skirt name.

So unfortunately the fish died :/ I took some pictures as Im not sure what happened. Im hoping someone might be able to shed some light.

Ammonia was .25 at 1pm I did a 15% water change and the levels halfed, nitrite is bearly above zero and nitrate is just above zero as well.

Upon further viewing, one of the tetras had there pectoral fin ripped a bit, im wondering if the other fish was attacked. I also put panty hose around the filter intake just incase that caused it as well.

Also the two remaining fish now school everywhere all the time since it was injured before this happened that was not the case.

Heres a link to the fish that died, I do not think it had any fish disease.

Fish pictures by dzeleski - Photobucket

Thanks in advance

Thanks for the reply, Nothing else there were 3 black skirt tetras, only two left. Tank is only 1 week old but my levels are good for a cycling tank. Its a 10 gallon tank.

Ammonia: 0-.25 at 8:30am
Nitrite: just under .1
Nitrate: 10

Ph is about 7.6

Uncle Dirty said:
It's because your tank is only 1 week old. Way too soon fir fish, IMO.....

I disagree, those levels aren't too bad. They're pretty reasonable it seems like you're staying on top of pwcs ... noticing any aggression? +1 on the filter sock.

Is your Ph steady?

What test kit are you using? .1 isn't really measurable on any kit I've used for nitrIte.

I disagree, those levels aren't too bad. They're pretty reasonable it seems like you're staying on top of pwcs ... noticing any aggression? +1 on the filter sock.

Is your Ph steady?

What test kit are you using? .1 isn't really measurable on any kit I've used for nitrIte.

Ive done many fish in cycles and have never had a problem. I change 1 gallon out at 8:30am and another gallon out at 6pm.

There schooling fish so they shoot at each other sometimes but I dont think its in an aggressive manner.

Ph is very stable hasnt moved at all, I am using API master kit, Im just guessing on the numbers as they dont come up as an exact match so I just estimate what it is.

tottenham12712 said:
Ive done many fish in cycles and have never had a problem. I change 1 gallon out at 8:30am and another gallon out at 6pm.

There schooling fish so they shoot at each other sometimes but I dont think its in an aggressive manner.

Ph is very stable hasnt moved at all, I am using API master kit, Im just guessing on the numbers as they dont come up as an exact match so I just estimate what it is.

Hmm. Whatever it is its definitely not those levels. Those are far from toxic even if you are estimating.
What size tank and what is the filter rated at? Is there anything else he could've been snagged on? Plastic plants, rocks... but even then I don't think he'd die from a fin injury.
A possibility is you may have had 2 males one female, and one male wanted the female for himself? That's just a guess.

Hmm. Whatever it is its definitely not those levels. Those are far from toxic even if you are estimating.
What size tank and what is the filter rated at? Is there anything else he could've been snagged on? Plastic plants, rocks... but even then I don't think he'd die from a fin injury.
A possibility is you may have had 2 males one female, and one male wanted the female for himself? That's just a guess.

Anytime I see my levels go even slightly toxic I do a pwc, its a 10 gallon tank pretty sure the filter is a 100GPH which I think is up too 20 gallons. I dont think he could have snagged on anything. The 3 guys never schooled together one was always be itself, now that the one fish died the two remaining school everywhere together. Im wondering if it was attacked?

Back
Top Bottom