Freaked out Angels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Khazmachi

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys I have two Angelfish that could use your help...
I have a 75 gallon tank that has been set up and running for years. My original stock of fish are all gone aside from one Boesemani Rainbow. I started to introduce new fish about 4 months ago when I added a small Severum. A couple months later I added some angels, two medium sized, and a smaller one. (A fourth that came from a different store is currently in QT) Everything was great for the first month, but now the two larger angels get really spooked by practically nothing. Even if I just watch TV in my room their color changes and they dart to cover smashing into whatever in in front of them in the process. This has led to fin rot in just those two.

I tested the water. Ammonia = 0, Nitrites = 0, Nitrates between 10 and 15. I didn't test the pH, but there should be no reason for it to change as I haven't added anything new to the aquarium. It sits on the more basic side somewhere between 7 and 8. Temp is set at 78. The tank is located in my bedroom, so not a lot of foot traffic around it at all. And I feel like a have a good amount of cover with driftwood and fake plants. I'll try to post a pic.

I'm about to treat the fin rot, but would like to know what I can do to make these Angels feel more secure so I can solve the problem. I don't see any other signs of I'll health I don't know how much wiggle room I have with stocking new fish. I had planned on adding something that would occupy the bottom of the tank, but should I try some type of dither fish instead? Or I can buy more wood and fake plants I guess. I have a bunch of rock, but feel like that could just cause more harm if they run into it.
Any ideas?

Thought I'd just give an update in case someone stumbles upon this... Angels are doing great now. As my Severum grows larger he is becoming braver and swims out in the open more often. This in turn seems to have calmed the Angels down and they are no longer skittish like a giant dither fish ha! I've decided to add a schoal of larger tetras as it might help more. Leaning towards Colombian Tetras, something big enough not to become Severum snacks.

Back
Top Bottom