Fungi on two Goldies (Pics within)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Comunista

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ah....
Two Goldies, apparently with some form of fungus, on a 50 gallon tank.
I've added the minimum dosage of Quick Cure, supposedly for treating protozoan parasites, fungi, etc.
Sorry for the quality, it's hard to get a good pic, since they're constantly "flash" moving.
gold1mm9.jpg

gold2vn5.jpg

gold3sa7.jpg

gold4bf0.jpg

Looks like the fins are rotting? Fin rot is more likely bacterial ....

First thing, make sure water parameter is right (ie no NH3/NO2). Goldies usually don't get infections unless stressed from something. Fresh clean water is always the first thing to try. You might also consider an antibiotic food once you are sure water is OK.

I have other fish in the tank as well (small koi, other goldies as well) and they do not show fin rot, only two of these suckers. They have Ick, and I have treated the water, and it seems to be working. However, the fungal infection is relatively new. I presume it was caused by the parasite, because these particular fish had scales missing from rubbing into decor and such. Now, I will continue to treat the water with QuICK Cure and I will raise the temperature significantly (85-88F). Also, I don't know how to test the water, so this is also my fault. So assuming the water levels (ph, NH3, NO2) aren't right, how would I go on about tranquilizing them? I will need to buy a water test-kit and then the chemicals to normalize it, yes?

PS: I've done a full water change and I've cycled the water before I added the fish.

You need a liquid reagent test kit (I am partial to the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Master test kit which is available online or in stores in the US). There are no chemicals you need once you get the test kit. Water changes are what you will use to get levels into good condition.

Ich is a very dangerous disease, not so much because of the disease itself, but because it leaves open sores on your fish where other opportunistic pathogens can enter. I would do several large PWC's back to back to get any possible stress caused by ammonia, nitrIte, nitrAte out.

Do you know anyone with a diatom filter or UV sterilizer you can borrow? The concern I have is that while heat is a great treatment method for Ich, the unknown bacteria/fungus very well might prefer that temperature and multiply faster (this is a very likely outcome).

Goldfish and koi are not going to deal well with elevated temperatures. You are better off treating the fish with salt instead. If you do decide to raise the temp be sure to aerate very well. Warm water does not hold nearly as much O2 as colder water and these are cold water fish.

Yeah, I'm aerating the water enough, and thanks to QuICK Cure, the fish are OK now, no salt-like grains anymore, and the two fungal-deprived Goldies are better now.

Actually, that looks more like a common goldie bacteria, not a fungus. Often white blobs on goldies are bacteria. Companies that make fungicides often add in bacteria killing ingredients that cure the problem. When the bacteria goes away, people automatically think it must have been a fungus.

Yeah, my Goldie seems to have recuperated fully now. Is two, 1.5-inch goldies for a 75 gallon tank wayy too understock?

Comunista said:
Yeah, my Goldie seems to have recuperated fully now. Is two, 1.5-inch goldies for a 75 gallon tank wayy too understock?

You win! :lol: This quite possibly is the first time I've ever heard someone ask that question whom in fact COULD add more goldfish to the tank...as to how many, or what type, you'll need to wait for the goldfish experts.

Comunista said:

Well, it depends on what kind of golds you are thinking of. 2 1.5" comets (the ones in your pics) may be understocked in a 75, but when they grow to 1 or 2 foot long, a 75 is just barely adaquate. IMO, single tailed golds need ponds when full grown (they like lots of swimming room), but you can certainly keep them in a tank till then.

Fancies (double tailed) don't get as big, and will do nicely in a 75. you can house 4 or 5 full size (8 - 10") adults comfortably. Of course, you can have more juvies (even up to a dozen or more) as long as you have plans to move them to bigger quarters as they grow. If you are pushing the limit of the tank, however, it is imperative to have a good test kit to monitor how the water is doing. The rate of nitrate accumulation will tell you when your fish are getting too big & need to be moved.

Back
Top Bottom