Fungus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JenE

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am so new to this that it is overwhelming to browse all of the old threads and try to find the information I need. We have had our tank for over a month - 29 gallon, ph 7.4; ammonia0; nitrite0; nitrate 10-20ppm before water change this morning. We have a White Cloud Mt. Minnow who suddenly has a white nose - he looks like Rudolph only the nose is white, not red. I noticed him last night seemingly foraging on the bottom which I had never seen before, and today he has been doing the same thing so I think he is trying to rub his nose on things. Perhaps it is bothering him.

So, is this fungus? What should I do next for him?

We also have 3 black skirt tetras, 2 other White Cloud Mt. Minnows, and recently added 3 glofish that my son loves and 1 Oto (plan to add more in another month or so).

Any help for me would be appreciated since we are so new at this. Thanks!!
Jen

In my experience this is often caused when a fish spends it's time swimming against the glass. Have you noticed it doing this? Or it could be that he did it foraging like you are describing. It's similar to how we get calluses on our hands from holding pens, etc.

If it isn't that, then I don't know what it would be and perhaps someone else may.

It's hard to tell if your fish has fungus without pictures. It sounds like it very well could be fungus though. I've had luck treating fungus by adding a little aquarium salt to the tank. Otherwise, Melafix and Pimafix are often recommended around here.

Uh oh, two other fish have it this morning so it must be something to worry about. Off to the aquarium store to get something to treat it with. I'm nervous about adding chemicals to my new tank, but I don't want all the fish to die.

Thanks for the help, and any other suggestions are always appreciated.

Jen

Hey BigJim, I'm in Tinley Park, the other side of my street is considered to be Oak Forest. :)

Always nice to find a close neighbor. I'm all of five minutes from Tinley, half of that spent doing 25 down Central.

My wife laughs because I usually drive down 159th to Cicero just so I don't have to go 25. :) I'm right by 167th and Central.

Anyway, sorry for thread hijack. :)

Back
Top Bottom