Fungus in tank after Kanamycin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SciFyDi

Aquarium Advice Regular
My Betta has some kind of bacterial infection. I treated him with Kanamycin which really really helped him. It didn’t really do anything for his cloudy eye or his torn fins but I have noticed he can swim better, eats more and is able to keep his balance.

I put Kanamycin in my five gallon tank and followed the directions. I used it every two days for three doses. About four days in I noticed one of the Guppies that lives in the tank with him had a white patch on her back. It looked like a scrape so I left it alone.

Today I noticed the Betta and the four guppies that live there are very lethargic. I have an Algeae eater that lives in there now because of a rehoming situation and his eyes are all cloudy. The female guppies now have some cotton like growth on their mouths.Everyone is refusing food. I don’t think it’s ick. As for the Betta I still think he needs more Kanamycin.

I started treating the guppies with Pimafix. I moved the Betta out into a one gallon bowl. I don’t want to risk the Pimafix clogging his Labyrinth organ.
The Betta’s last dose of Kanamycin was on Monday. He seems to be back to being lethargic without it. Is he okay to be treated again so soon? If I can re treat him what would be a good way to measure out the Kanamycin crystals since he is now in a one gallon hospital tank and the spoon comes in a five gallon measure.

Also from the pictures is Pimafix a good treatment option?
I think this is due to the antibiotics plus no water changes while the Kanamycin was present.
Thank you

Attachments

• 3167EA74-A98C-4AA2-957F-AF6F9218F86A.jpg
    3167EA74-A98C-4AA2-957F-AF6F9218F86A.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 51
  • 9AD3F728-33F2-4116-A6AF-3219AB4D2C42.jpg
    9AD3F728-33F2-4116-A6AF-3219AB4D2C42.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 64
  • 7B2C7A2D-47A4-4625-9D6D-35BDD0903EAF.jpg
    7B2C7A2D-47A4-4625-9D6D-35BDD0903EAF.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 55
It sounds like you are battling Columnaris. It's a terrible bug and nearly impossible to cure.
It looks like you've done a great job with your meds. Most are unable to sustain life as long as you have. I've only had to deal with Columnaris a few times and have had a zero cure rate.
There is plenty of advice on forums regarding the treatment of Columnaris, but you would be hard pressed to find anyone that has actually cured it. Hopefully you will be one of the first.

Ugggh. I was thinking that it wasn’t something that bad because of how long this has been going on and only one fish had been sick. I feel horrible because my algae eater was perfectly healthy until I stuck him in the small tank. That and the female guppy has picked the last couple of days to have about fifteen babies. I found an article by a guy who said he got his Columnaris cleared after two months. He did a mixture of Kanamycin and Furan 2 with salt baths and copper guard. I’m going to try that. He also said he squirted hydrogen peroxide into the fish wounds but I’m not going to put them through that. I figure my guppies won’t make it they look pretty bad. They have clear threadlike worms coming out of them now. The algae eater aside from cloudy eyes doesn’t seem all that bad. He and the Betta have always been strong tough fish so I’m hoping maybe I can save them at least.
As for the salt bath do you just add it to the water or is it something you actually soak them in while they are in a separate container?

The salt dip is usually done in a seperate container of some type. The combination of the noted antibiotics is what is commonly recommended. I've read one other reference to the use of a copper based med to combat Columnaris. I've used Copper Safe to treat Oodinium and Ick, and it worked great. Whose to say it won't work?
If things work out be sure to relay what you learned.

You could do spot treatment with hydrogen peroxide. Just don't get any in or near it's gills.

I’ve been doing Kanamycin and Furan 2. Not much of a big change but I don’t see them doing any worse. I got the Betta back to eating today. When I dose the Furan it does seems to kill off some of the guppy fry within a few hours.
The only problem with the algae eater I’ve noticed is white protruding cloudy eyes and lethargy. Other than that I don’t see any cottony body fungus or red streaks. Today I noticed when the affected guppy exhales what looks like dandelion fluff comes out.
I’m wondering if maybe it could be Saprolegnia? I’m finding it hard to figure out which one it is. I ordered them some Metroplex and wanted to ask you guys if it is okay to use that in conjunction with the Kanamycin and the Furan.

Another issue I’m having is with not having a filter running and frequent dead fry the tank is stinking to high hell. I’m doing about 30% water changes before I add any meds. I’m just not sure of how much water to take out as to not remove the antibiotics.

Back
Top Bottom