Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
View Poll Results: Fungus or bacteria
Is this a fungus 0 0%
Is this a bacteria 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-07-2017, 11:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Fungus or bacteria

Does anyone know what this could be on my glow tetra and white tetra? It looks like a fungus and is eating away at the top of my glow tetras mouth. It has been present for over a month and has been treated first as a fungal infection with API fungus guard, then marineland all in one remedy tablets, then a methylene blue dip, then erythromycin powder and now currently day 2 of kannamycin. Nothing is helping. I wish I knew what this was so I could treat accordingly. The glow tetra growth is obvious. The white tetra has a cottony growth on his temple area above his eye that actually has a spot of this stuff on his eye as well. Its very "pillowly" looking. The purple glow tetra not only has his mouth and dorsal fin effected but almost looks like he has lumps under his scales.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170707_132331.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	301255   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170707_132321.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	301256  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170707_132314.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	301257  

Old 07-08-2017, 03:19 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

If it's pillowy as you say it's likely a fungus caused by a bacteria problem?
That's what I'd guess.... what are your levels at? (ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate)

Old 07-08-2017, 04:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishgirl37 View Post
Does anyone know what this could be on my glow tetra and white tetra? It looks like a fungus and is eating away at the top of my glow tetras mouth. It has been present for over a month and has been treated first as a fungal infection with API fungus guard, then marineland all in one remedy tablets, then a methylene blue dip, then erythromycin powder and now currently day 2 of kannamycin. Nothing is helping. I wish I knew what this was so I could treat accordingly. The glow tetra growth is obvious. The white tetra has a cottony growth on his temple area above his eye that actually has a spot of this stuff on his eye as well. Its very "pillowly" looking. The purple glow tetra not only has his mouth and dorsal fin effected but almost looks like he has lumps under his scales.
similar to ick, ive had that provlem before the tablets dont worm as well the liquid products work well. try 50% water changes and steady liquid dosage of a ick remedy. hope this was helpful!
Old 07-08-2017, 10:46 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss_Maree View Post
If it's pillowy as you say it's likely a fungus caused by a bacteria problem?
That's what I'd guess.... what are your levels at? (ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate)
The ammonia is at zero, the nitrite is on low end and nitrate is around 40ppm. Its a very slow growing process too. Have been doing 25% water changes frequently.
Old 07-08-2017, 07:55 PM   #5

Is it a new tank or an established one?
Nitrites are strange to have in established aquariums, if try to put some stress zyme in there to help out with the Bacteria maybe some prime to help nutrilize the nitrite and nitrates it also helps provide a slime coat one the fish. If it's a new tank it will keep trying to build up the bacteria though.

I don't think it's Ick (white spot) as it's quite a large infected area and ick usually comes up with numerous spots, not one large one.
The other thing is don't forget to remove your carbon because that will nutrilise your treatments too.
It's hard to see what it is with the photos but maybe try malifix?

Tags
bacteria, fungus

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com