Fungus or bacteria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fungus or bacteria

• Is this a fungus

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Is this a bacteria

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Fishgirl37

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Does anyone know what this could be on my glow tetra and white tetra? It looks like a fungus and is eating away at the top of my glow tetras mouth. It has been present for over a month and has been treated first as a fungal infection with API fungus guard, then marineland all in one remedy tablets, then a methylene blue dip, then erythromycin powder and now currently day 2 of kannamycin. Nothing is helping. I wish I knew what this was so I could treat accordingly. The glow tetra growth is obvious. The white tetra has a cottony growth on his temple area above his eye that actually has a spot of this stuff on his eye as well. Its very "pillowly" looking. The purple glow tetra not only has his mouth and dorsal fin effected but almost looks like he has lumps under his scales.

Attachments

• 20170707_132331.jpg
    20170707_132331.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 57
  • 20170707_132321.jpg
    20170707_132321.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 58
  • 20170707_132314.jpg
    20170707_132314.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 51
If it's pillowy as you say it's likely a fungus caused by a bacteria problem?
That's what I'd guess.... what are your levels at? (ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate)

Does anyone know what this could be on my glow tetra and white tetra? It looks like a fungus and is eating away at the top of my glow tetras mouth. It has been present for over a month and has been treated first as a fungal infection with API fungus guard, then marineland all in one remedy tablets, then a methylene blue dip, then erythromycin powder and now currently day 2 of kannamycin. Nothing is helping. I wish I knew what this was so I could treat accordingly. The glow tetra growth is obvious. The white tetra has a cottony growth on his temple area above his eye that actually has a spot of this stuff on his eye as well. Its very "pillowly" looking. The purple glow tetra not only has his mouth and dorsal fin effected but almost looks like he has lumps under his scales.
similar to ick, ive had that provlem before the tablets dont worm as well the liquid products work well. try 50% water changes and steady liquid dosage of a ick remedy. hope this was helpful!

If it's pillowy as you say it's likely a fungus caused by a bacteria problem?
That's what I'd guess.... what are your levels at? (ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate)

The ammonia is at zero, the nitrite is on low end and nitrate is around 40ppm. Its a very slow growing process too. Have been doing 25% water changes frequently.

Is it a new tank or an established one?
Nitrites are strange to have in established aquariums, if try to put some stress zyme in there to help out with the Bacteria maybe some prime to help nutrilize the nitrite and nitrates it also helps provide a slime coat one the fish. If it's a new tank it will keep trying to build up the bacteria though.

I don't think it's Ick (white spot) as it's quite a large infected area and ick usually comes up with numerous spots, not one large one.
The other thing is don't forget to remove your carbon because that will nutrilise your treatments too.
It's hard to see what it is with the photos but maybe try malifix?

Back
Top Bottom