Fungus that just won't go away

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

minx

Aquarium Advice Activist
A while back I noticed my Corys had a bout of fungus, mainly on their lower fins.

I duly dosed the tank with some anti fungus treatment and it cleared up. Only problem is that every time I stop the treatment it just comes straight back.

I think the fungus started when I was spending quite a lot of time in the week working away - my automatic feeder was dropping the food into a different corner of the tank to where I usually feed them & I think I overloaded the feeder. However, this was mid October - I've cut down the food accordingly, kept a close eye on water quality but it just doesn't seem to want to go away!

Any ideas for zapping it once and for all? I'm getting a new tank very soon & don't want to transfer any disease when I move my Corys.

Incidentally, on the topic of fungus treatment, it's always wise to take heed of the bit about the treatment reducing the oxygen content of the tank - I found my Corys gasping for breath and dashing for a gulp of air every minute after treating for a week or so ... easily resolved by an air pump but can't have been nice for the poor little mites!

well, first of all, how well do you clean your tank, vacuum your gravel , and such? how often? how big is the tank? how many fish? etc? what are your water chemistry parameters? that would help a lot in correcting such a longstanding problem....

I clean every week-10 days @15% each time.

Water parameters are OK ... ammonia and nitrite are 0, pH about 7.5.

Fish - 4 Bronze Corys

I vacuum the gravel each water change, although one of the parts of the tank that doesn't get vaccumed is a corner hidden by a log which the Corys like to hide behind. Can the fungus live in the gravel?

I've since moved the log (much to the Corys disgust!) and had a good clean around. I'm hoping the Cory's are clear now - I stopped the treatment last week and there's no sign of a return yet. Fingers crossed!

Back
Top Bottom