fungus - what to do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattmathis

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have just noticed fungus on a couple of blue rams I just got. They are juveniles. Right now it's just a tiny little cottony spot on ones side and ones top fin. And now I have noticed what might be some on a neon tetras tail. I have never had fungus in my aquarium before.

What is the best medication?
Should I treat the whole tank or quarantine them to treat?

Thanks so much!

You can qt to treat if you are sure that it is fungus.

If your neon was in the tank already and you did not notice the fungus until putting the rams in, then it would make sense that your rams brought something in. If that is the case I would treat the whole tank.

What are your water parameters? I woiuld dose with salt at 1 tsp per g, and if no notable improvement was had in a few days, then I would go with most any fungicide that is sold at the pet store, which of course you will want to make sure it is safe for all tank inhabitants. You can also try melafix. I don't like to use the meds in my tank that turn the water green (malechite green), and I refuse to put formaldehyde in my tanks.

I would first follow Blueiz's suggestion to use salt as the first line of defense. Reason being, some antifungal medications can be detrimental to your beneficial bacteria, hence disrupting your cycle and ultimately may cause more stress to your fishes. This is especially important if you need to treat the entire tank.

Thanks everyone! I have them quarantined now but I'm not sure what to medicate with? I finally got some half way decent pictures! Is it fungal or bacterial?

Thanks!

img_1048545_0_18d354c53408a6f718a14753f4330bd9.jpg

img_1048545_1_b086f5e0b199611ebc3faa7ad92edee7.jpg

img_1048545_2_bc21e1908a94bbabc13ed726891fa7f2.jpg

img_1048545_3_aec86d04ad9b3cea91117d7b24a02140.jpg

Back
Top Bottom