Furan dosing help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dizzydea

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have the bulk jar of furan and a fish with culmanaris in a 2 gal hospital tank. How much furan for 2 gallons?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Or can someone poor out one of there packets of furan and measure it in tsp.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Standard dose for furazone is 1/8 teaspoon for 10 gals of water. What I do for smaller volumes of water is take a turkey baster or some measuring device and measure out 10 parts and add the 1/8 teaspoon and mix. Then just add the appropriate amount for the gallons you are treating. For example, if my turkey baster measures out ounces, I would use 10 oz of water then just use 2 oz of the mixture for a 2 gallon tank.

Hope this helps

That is a really good idea!!! I put the powder in a container on a scale and used a mini scoop that I got with something.

Andy, did u refrigerate the Furan base mixture after or did u leave it at room temperature?

(Friend of Bill W., One day at a time)

That is a really good idea!!! I put the powder in a container on a scale and used a mini scoop that I got with something.

Andy, did u refrigerate the Furan base mixture after or did u leave it at room temperature?

(Friend of Bill W., One day at a time)

It's a little wasteful but once the mixture is made, it's effectiveness starts reducing so unless I am treating daily, I just throw away the remaining mix and start fresh. So, in this case for the OP, I would use a 1/16 teaspoon ( good for 5 gals) and only use amount for 2 gals.
As for proper ways to store the made mix, I would call the manufacturer of the product to get their recommendation.
With some meds, you can pre-make and store but that's not true for all meds so I don;t want to make a general statement. Keep in mind that the "use by" date is really important when it comes to pre making meds and their effectiveness.

Hope this helps (y)

Back
Top Bottom