GBR not really doing much

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meese-a-mew

Aquarium Advice Freak
HELP! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408401644.149957.jpgI have a GBR and it's just sitting under the heater. No signs of sickness like ich or fungus. No discolouration. Could it be just chilling there or something?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What else in in your tank? It could be that he likes the area since it is secluded, or it could be that he doesn't feel good and is with-drawing. Is this new? How long has he been in the tank? What are your parameters?

The fish are:
5 rams
10 neons

Params are perfect.

And has been there for 2-3 months

It could be that it's getting bullied by the other rams how big is your tank and what is the male-female ram ratio

Last edited:
I don't really know the ratio because they aren't that old and I can't really tell. I think its 2M 3F though

Not sure then, did u get the rams all at the same time? How long did you cycle the tank for before adding them. I'd do some tests for PH, Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate. Hope he pulls through but I don't think your chances are great. What's he acting like now?

He/She swims when I feed and when I go an look he starts swimming again.

Its possible that he/she is guarding eggs. I'd look around the tank to make sure there aren't any hiding somewhere. Is it gasping for air? I had a ram die after days of gasping at the bottom. Just keep a look out for a dead body so u can get it put as soon as possible

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My guess is behavioral. Since it just 1 ram acting this way, and you don't see other signs of illness, it could indeed be bullying. By the way, in me experience, female rams are quite feisty. If this is the odd fish out, it is possible she/he is taking shelter from the others, regardless of gender.
It could be illness, but without any other symptoms, there is no way to know for sure. Do you happen to have another tank to put her in? Does she clamp her fins or seem stressed? You do have to be careful with this sort of situation in case she is overly stressed since rams are sensitive and stress kills.

I only have a 8g to put it in.

No gasping for air but clamps fins every once in a while.

I looked for eggs but I couldn't find any.

The particular ram isn't ever bullied. I have one that's almost like a punching bag for the other rams(of course I keep watching to make sure it doesn't get out of control). This ram has no discolouration, no torn fins, just nothing so it's really confusing and it still eats and stuff which makes everything more confusing.

What size tank do you have! I believe rams are territorial and you would need about 40 gal tank for 5! Could be the others already have their own space and won't let her in their territory!

When it swims it swims right beside the others

Well, since there doesn't seem to be an eminent threat, it is up to you if you want to leave it there or try removing it temporarily to the 8g for additional monitoring.
With no visible bullying, it could be that the fish just wants to be there. Though, sitting and clamping fins sometimes is a bit odd. It could be that one just isn't as healthy as the others too. You know the reputation rams have. :/
I know this isn't very helpful, but if I was you, I would just make my best guess based on observing the situation if you would prefer to wait it out in the main tank and see how it goes, or else try to remove the fish temporarily to the 8g as a quarantine space to see if the behavior stays the same. I have personally never seen anything good come from a fish who just sits under and intake or heater like that. In my experience, it has never ended well. Now, I remove fish that act like that to their own space, or else I trade them in at my lfs. Up to you though. If you want to keep an eye on it for now and just see how it goes, you can. Just be vigilant. :)

Its colors look really dark. Maybe you should check for camallanus/callamanus. I never know which spelling :/ rams are very popular carriers. I had a ram that died of that, and just 2 days ago so did my bf. The two fish never met, totally separate incidents. They both had really dark coloration when they were about to pass. Check and see if you see small red threads coming from their anal vent.

Sent from my XT907 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom