GBR with heath issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blert

Aquarium Advice Addict
He has been like this for about five days. Only about an 1.5 inches long so still a baby. Hangs out on the bottom of the tank but changes location every once in a while. Does not eat. Nobody is picking on him. Very bloated as you can see. No sores or bumps or whatnot.

Attachments

• image-550271256.jpg
    image-550271256.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 68
Looks like dropsy to me, which is a buildup of fluids in the body cavity. I've seen this before and rams tend to have a low success rate in overcoming it. It may be too late to treat. Did this come on very rapidly?

You will want to maintain your water temperature at 84-86 degrees and treat with doxycycline and kanamycin according to Fish Body Cavity. Treat for two weeks. You may be able to obtain these meds elsewhere more cheaply.

I believe you are correct. His eyes seem swollen also. One day fine the next big and fat so, yes, it came on very quickly. It's been five days now. I can't get real meds in Florida anymore without a prescription. I fear it may be too late by the time it ships here. I'll see what I can come up with.

what are your water parameters? ammonia,ph,and nitrates? gbr's are very sensitive to water conditions. how long has your tank been cycled? gbr's aren't recommened for tanks that aren't at least 6 months old. also i would wait a few days before i treated with chemicals. as far as food. find out what they were feeding at the pet store and feed the same. also my gbr's like live BLACK worms if you can find them. as far as being at the bottom of the tank that's where they hang out. if he hangs out at the top then i'd be worried.

You can try an epsom salt bath to drain some of the fluids. 1/2 teaspoon per 1 gallon is what I hear the proper dose is. Keep an eye on the fish while it is in the bath for 15-20 mins. This might help drain some stuff and relieve pressure and bloating. If successful, you might want to do it multiple times...every few hours.

Try Maracyn and Maracyn II if you can't find other stuff. Petsmart should have that. Get enough to treat for two weeks.

Tank has been cycled since July last year.
I just did a water change today. I am guessing 0,0,20,6.6, I'll test levels after I get the kids off to a ball game. Closest PetSmart is an hour away.

Epsom salt, can I use aquarium salt?

Meds on hand, I have: formalin and malachite green (bottle of Rid-Ich came with 75g tank), naphthoquinone, and melafix. Any of those help for now?

This same exact thing happened with my ram, never knew what it was. One morning, fine, afternoon, fat. He died the next die. I would say he doesn't have a lot of time :(

My guess was spot on. Tested: 0,0,20,6.6
I can't get much better with the nitrates as my source water has 20ppm nitrates. This tank is also down to about 3/4 it's plant load since I clipped to plant my 75g. I guess I could move some wisteria from the 40g but I really don't like the stuff.

if your nitrates are only 20 then that is good. how is he acting now? the aquarium salt will be fine if you want to try the salt bath. did you find out what the fish store was feeding? i really hate to add a bunch of chemicals to the water. what other fish are in the tank? you might just try to treat in a different container. if i were you i'd do the salt bath in a separate container and then put your ram back in the aquarium. i don't think you need to add more plants. is ther any sign of pine coning? that's when the scales lift off the body and it looks like a pinecone.

Nope, you need a broad spectrum gram negative as well as a broad spectrum gram positive. Epsom salts will reduce fluids but aquarium salts won't do much.

He did not make it. I was in the middle of setting up a hospital ten gallon when I found him stuck to the filter intake. I even found some epsom salt in the bathroom cabinet. I guess I will complete the ten gallon and keep it cycled so I always have a running QT.

No pine coning, just a bloated belly. That's why I let it go for a few days, I figure he was just seriously constipated. I also did not want to increase his stress by moving him again.

But to answer your questions... Tank mate were:
One Angel about the size of a quarter without fins.
One other GBR the same size as him.
Seven Bloodfin Tetras.
Five Cories.
One Guppy.
Some Ghost Shrimp.
Many places to hide and no one ever bullied him.

I was thinking it might be 84 or higher. I've only seen dropsy in rams myself when tank temperature is elevated for some time and when tank maintenance is neglected. Did you keep up on the water changes?

Yeah, I do 50% water changes every week on this tank and my 40b. I do two 25% a week on my 75. Pretty diligent about it.

Back
Top Bottom