GBRs With Fin Rot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All my tank's info is on my original post, but it's a 25 gallon with an API Superclean 30. The filter outflow is the only aeration in the tank right now

Aeration is rarely in issue in home aquaria. The waterfall effect of the filter aerates quite well sufficient for the mixing that is necessary. Adding an airstone is virtually always cosmetic and not for the betterment of the actual environment. I wouldn't be concerned about it.
Have you seen improvement yet? If there hasn't been improvement yet, YOu should go out and get a better antibiotic.
It is only known to be too late if your fish dies. Before that, it is not too late. :) Just make sure not to let it progress more.

Aeration is rarely in issue in home aquaria. The waterfall effect of the filter aerates quite well sufficient for the mixing that is necessary. Adding an airstone is virtually always cosmetic and not for the betterment of the actual environment. I wouldn't be concerned about it.
Have you seen improvement yet? If there hasn't been improvement yet, YOu should go out and get a better antibiotic.
It is only known to be too late if your fish dies. Before that, it is not too late. :) Just make sure not to let it progress more.

I haven't really seen improvement but it also doesn't seem to be getting worse. What are some stronger antibiotics? I can go pick some up at the fish store this weekend.

And thanks, I haven't lost hope yet! They seem pretty happy besides their ugly tails. Their colors are really bright and they eat well.

Fin rot is generally gram negative and Maracyn 2 can be used. Though, some people prefer a broad spectrum antibiotic like Furan 2 since you don't actually know the specific bacteria involved.

Fin rot is generally gram negative and Maracyn 2 can be used. Though, some people prefer a broad spectrum antibiotic like Furan 2 since you don't actually know the specific bacteria involved.

Ok so I was out of town for a while, so I stopped treatment until I could get back. The GBRs still have ragged tail fins but it hasn't gotten too much worse. I just picked up some Furan-2 and I will start dosing today.

On the box it says that antibiotics can mess up the biological filter, is this true? Should I be worried about my bb?

Though, some people prefer a broad spectrum antibiotic like Furan 2 since you don't actually know the specific bacteria involved.

Been dosing with that since the middle of last week. Even after two 25% water changes, my tank water looks like urine right now. I recently moved two of my Crypt wendtiis (which made them unhappy) and the Furan-2 defoliated them.

On the box it says that antibiotics can mess up the biological filter, is this true? Should I be worried about my bb?

It probably won't, but you should check your ammonia and nitrites every couple of days just to make sure.

BTW, GBRs are way more sensitive to nitrates than your average freshwater tropical fish. Keeping your tank water in the 10 ppm range will really help their immune systems.

I'll try to keep my nitrates down, rn they're at like 30. And I have a lot of live plants....are they all gonna die?

I'll try to keep my nitrates down, rn they're at like 30. And I have a lot of live plants....are they all gonna die?

Most of my plants seem unaffected from the Furan-2 treatment. This includes Java Fern, Crypt. spiralis, one Crypt. wendtii, and patches of Staurogyne repens. I imagine that the other three Crypts will recover in time but, being impatient, I may replace them.

Ok good, I've finally gotten my plants to flourish and it took me a while! I have some wisteria, water sprite and two red swords. I also have a madagascar lace plant but it's not doing very well so I might get rid of it

Ok I just finished the furan-2 treatment and all of my plants are fine. Now, though, my one of my Kuhlis has what looks like columnaris. He has little white fungus looking patches on his skin...wouldnt

Oops...premature commenting. Wouldn't furan-2 have killed columnaris? I posted a thread about this in the unhealthy fish board but I am pretty frustrated!

Back
Top Bottom