General Tank issues and Tiger Barb, Please Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aok

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Thanks for the help with the Columnaris on the Angels, two of them seem to be doing better but one has passed away. :(

Now I've noticed one of my Tiger Barbs seems to have "cotton mouth" I suppose, it is not eating and not swimming around with the 9 other Tigers I have.

This is a 55g tank with a Marineland Emperor 400 filter, GPH is unknown, there is also a large sponge filter in the tank.

pH seems to have dropped quite a bit, showing 6.0 but may be lower for all I know, when before it was around 7.6, could this have been from the Furan 2 and Kanaplex dosing? My Ammonia was at 0 before dosing these two things, but now it is at 0.25ppm. Nitrite is 0 and Nitrate is 20. I've done a 20% water change on the weekend and 50% today after getting these results, I also rinsed the filter media(in tank water).

Everyone seems to be fine, minus the Tiger Barb, eating normal and swimming merrily. I've tried to take pics of the Tiger but it is sitting in the back and my camera is having troubles focusing in close on it, so these will have to do.

I should add that this fish is normally the one chasing the others around, so obviously something is not right.

GCXWr7k.jpg

nfMUnQV.jpg

d9pVqQU.jpg

S1zPjFm.jpg

Thanks!

columnaris is cotton mouth.
Keep up on(re do ) the treatment(same meds mentioned are correct).
You really have 9 tiger barbs in a 55 with other "normal" community fish?:eek:
I see a ram,krib,platy,gourami and kuhli loach in just 3 pics!:confused:
Fish Columnaris | Fungus & Saprolegnia | Treatment & Prevention
Can't imagine where the stress has come from(angels also?):whistle:
I don't mean to sound rude(sorry if I do),
but IMO tigers are best kept in species tank in the double digit numbers.
I don't even want to discuss compatibility with all the fish in pics.:nono:
You should strongly reconsider your stocking IMO.

If I remember correctly... *dont quote me* cotton mouth is a system of columnaris and seeing as you had some other fish infected it could have spread to your tiger

Caleb

columnaris is cotton mouth.
Keep up on(re do ) the treatment(same meds mentioned are correct).
You really have 9 tiger barbs in a 55 with other "normal" community fish?:eek:
I see a ram,krib,platy,gourami and kuhli loach in just 3 pics!:confused:
Fish Columnaris | Fungus & Saprolegnia | Treatment & Prevention
Can't imagine where the stress has come from(angels also?):whistle:
I don't mean to sound rude(sorry if I do),
but IMO tigers are best kept in species tank in the double digit numbers.
I don't even want to discuss compatibility with all the fish in pics.:nono:
You should strongly reconsider your stocking IMO.

All the fish are quite well actually, I've never had a problem with the Tigers and they stick to themselves, which is why I have the group of them. Care to explain why the rest are incompatible if I've never had problems with them? The Krib is by himself, the ram has a mate, and I have two honey dwarf gouramis. What does the kuhli have to do with any of this? (Lol) they're all close because this is the side I feed them on and they're waiting for food, the kuhli and his friends do whatever the hell they want. I get that they are technically not compatible but I don't have any problems with them and the Columnaris only came from a new angel that wasn't quarantined(my fault).

I'm going to quarantine the tiger in a smaller tank and only dose that, because the swing in ph only happened after the dosing and same for the ammonia.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My main concern is the tigers with the others.
The other fish seem reasonably compatible.
If you say the tigers are good then so be it.
Treat the whole tank for columnaris again.

Reactions: aok
My main concern is the tigers with the others.
The other fish seem reasonably compatible.
If you say the tigers are good then so be it.
Treat the whole tank for columnaris again.

I've had the Tigers since the beginning of the tank without problems, but I can understand your concern, thanks for the help! The tank will continue to be treated for Columnaris.

Back
Top Bottom