Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-07-2007, 01:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to black hills tj Send a message via MSN to black hills tj Send a message via Yahoo to black hills tj
German Blue rams(pale, white poo, acting normal)

Hey guys,

I have a pair of German Blue Rams in a 10gallon tank. Only inhabitants other than some snails(okay, alot of snails). Sand substrate. Stock lighting. Najas(guppy grass) and anacharis. No ferts. 50% PWC twice a week. Feed bloodworms twice a week. Flakes daily.

They are acting perfectly normal, however they both(a pair. spawned once in my 20g community tank that's why they are in this one) are a little pale. Their feces is also white. What do you guys think?

I haven't tested the water params yet. This tank has been running for a while(several months), and was boosted with a sponge filter that was running in my 20g. The sponge filter is still running in the tank, as well as an Aquaclear 30.

Thanks,

Mike

https://www.bhtj.net
black hills tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 01:41 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Long white "stringy" feces is a common problem associated with internal parasites. These parasites affect different fish differently so the pale complexion could also be cause by the parasites. The solution is actually simpler than you might think, food.

Pay a visit to your pet store and pick up some parasite food. There are several brands, all good but I'm sure some of the other forum members will make their recommendations. I personally have used Jungle brand with good success. Follow the instructions and your fish will likely be back to normal in a few weeks.

Unfortunately it is hard to gauge how much damage has already been done. With luck you will have caught it soon enough that it won't cause permanent damage (i.e. death) but you should prepare yourself in case you have not.

Finally, parasites don't usually just "show up". Check your water parameters. You need to eliminate the cause or they will become infected again.

Alshain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 01:43 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to black hills tj Send a message via MSN to black hills tj Send a message via Yahoo to black hills tj
Thanks for the heads up Alshain. I'll stop by the LFS this weekend. However, the tank is in my dorm room, and I'll be at home for the weekend. Unforunately, this means it'll be about 2 days before they get the food treatment.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:14 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Picked up some jungle brand medicated food. Going to start feeding this morning.

Recently my freezer got a little warm, and I wonder if the bloodworms that I had already opened are the cause of the newfound parasite.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:22 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by black hills tj
Recently my freezer got a little warm, and I wonder if the bloodworms that I had already opened are the cause of the newfound parasite.
Thats very possible.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:23 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

The directions say to feed 3 days conescutively and exclusively. Does this mean I can just feed them normally the other 4 days of the week?

Old 12-12-2007, 08:46 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yes. Also, your GBR's shouldn't have a problem but for others reading this thread, don't be afraid to mush the pellets for smaller fish.

Tags
blue ram, blue rams, german blue ram, german blue rams, pale, rams

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com