Getting tired of finding dead fish everyday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JJandTrey

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I guess this is more venting than anything, but I'm starting to get very discouraged because I'm finding at least one dead fish everyday. My parameters are perfect, my water is clean, and I really believe I'm doing everything right. Even with that, I keep having constant loss. I've lost rainbows, mollys, tetras, danios, all in the span of about a month. None of them have any obvious signs of why they died, except the rainbows which have developed white mouths and died within a day of any symptoms.

I am over filtered, and UV sterilized, and to me there is just no reason for this to be happening. Being relatively new to the hobby, this is really discouraged my further growth. I'm reluctant to even buy any new stock. I really don't think I should have to medicate my tank constantly just to keep everything from dying, and I'm tired of buying new stock just to have it die. Does anyone have any words of advice or anything at this point?

How long have you had your tank set up? was it properly cycled?
And what exactly are your water parameters?

Tank has been set up since early March. Fully cycled and planted. Heres my setup:
36 gallon bowfront
Dual T5HO 6500k 8hr per day (roughly)
Sunsun Canister Filter with UV sterilizer (584gph I believe)
DIY C02 running into 90gph powerhead
Gravel substrate with root tabs
Params: 0 ammo, 0 ite, <5 ate (never has a readable level but is slightly darker than 0), 7.2pH (Driftwood to buffer pH)

Does that help?

I am having this issue as well, but someone told me today to check the temp of the water. community should be about 76F.

I'm having a similar issue - I'm worried that I'm doing more harm than good with my treatment (see my other thread 'is this ich...')

Got a beautiful male celebes who I think is going to follow the same path as last death :(

One thing jumps out at me:

except the rainbows which have developed white mouths and died within a day of any symptoms.

This sounds like columnaris to me which is highly contagious, fast-moving and can wipe out whole tanks if not treated quickly. I'm not saying for sure that's what's going on, but you may want to do some research and see if it sounds like a possibility.

if what you have is indeed columnaris, then raising the temperature is usually going to exacerbate the situation. if left untreated, death toll will rise within few days and within hrs if temperature is raised. so i would do a thorough check on the "white mouth" issue that you had and proceed with proper treatment.

Back
Top Bottom