Ghost Knifefish Not Eating!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caligulasAquarium

Aquarium Advice Activist
I went got new fish fish (same brand, just bloodworm), and gave some to all my fish. My guppies loved it, and so did everyone else but the plecos and most importantly, my BGK. I took him out very carefully, in a large net (would've used isolation tank, but it needs to be cleaned, filled, etc), and tried to feed him. He completely ignored it, half-slacking on my hand, half-rapid breathing. I held him a little to see if he had lumps or something, nothing. He seemed perfectly normal, except the fact he's not eating at all. When I let him out, he had "trouble" getting down, he swam backwards-upside down, and fell to the rock, and swam into it's cave. He began swimming like he did, at the ceiling of it, but ignored the wafer I gave him. After a while, I found him resting as if he was dead. He was like that when I put the new airstone in. It's worrying me, he's the only fish that seems to have problems. Will be checking the ammonia and pH (my nitrate is tested by water, other two have automatic readings on some thing lol) tomorrow, and posting it sometime. I'd be okay, but a little upset if any of my fish died, but I'd be devastated if Kuro (BGK) died, I just got him about a month ago, and can't return him now. He also nipped a few guppies tails, but that was it towards to other fish. Can anyone suggest any really fast remedies? I can only give him brine shrimp again when my dad comes home, and takes me to the Pet Store again. Is it some disease? He seems to be dying, and ignoring all the food I give him. Please be quick! Thank you!

Sounds like a perimeters thing. Please state them exactly. We also need tank size and tank mates.

A few thigs that stand out at me directly are the fact that you picked it up to feed it/put it in a net?! And you have him with guppies.

I can guarentee no fish..especially a very shy one..will eat if forced into a net. Stress is too great and he defibitly wont be happy.

And the guppies. Those will be eaten eventually, just wait

PS. just read your profile, and it is definitly a perimeters thing. Having 2 common plecos in a 55 gallon tank, each being a foot long will do this to you. Not to mention having a BGK even if it is a juvi.

Honestly, 2 commons? Dang

Yea, I only did that because he looks dead, and I thought he was anyways. 16-30 guppies, 2 large plecs, 2 mollies, and 1 swordtail. It is overcrowded due to mass breeding, accidentally got a male. It's a 55g. He didn't eat before and after the netting. It wa a 10in net, and he's 3in. And I'm aware of the guppies being eaten when he gets bigger (if he survives). Last time I remember he ate was maybe last week, before we ran out of brine shrimp. I cant tell, I'm still in middle school

Gboy66 said:
PS. just read your profile, and it is definitly a perimeters thing. Having 2 common plecos in a 55 gallon tank, each being a foot long will do this to you. Not to mention having a BGK even if it is a juvi.

Honestly, 2 commons? Dang

My stepdad got them for me, and I don't expect them I get to 12-13in big. I'm planning on either giving them away or releasing them at a lake, and buying otocincluses.

dont release them at a lake!!! That is very irresponsible! As the fish owner who bought the fish, and as a person!

tarpon said:
dont release them at a lake!!! That is very irresponsible! As the fish owner who bought the fish, and as a person!

I heard that some people released their plecs in lakes and rivers because they got too big. But that's my last resort if my local aquarium doesn't take large Plecos. They probably do. Otherwise, it's either Lake Anza or someone who has a large tank

-Gears-In-Time- said:
I heard that some people released their plecs in lakes and rivers because they got too big. But that's my last resort if my local aquarium doesn't take large Plecos. They probably do. Otherwise, it's either Lake Anza or someone who has a large tank

You should never release aquarium fish into a lake or river, or anywhere outside for that matter (except a pond, of course) they can severly disrupt the ecosystem!

Thanks for the info. But what could I do if I can't sell/give away my Plecos? I can't ship, would be to expensive for the stuff. And I can't possibly find a pond I can go to easily, except the one at the local college, lots of algae, possibly some fish, etc. would that be ideal for Plecos to live?

-Gears-In-Time- said:
Yea, I only did that because he looks dead, and I thought he was anyways. 16-30 guppies, 2 large plecs, 2 mollies, and 1 swordtail. It is overcrowded due to mass breeding, accidentally got a male. It's a 55g. He didn't eat before and after the netting. It wa a 10in net, and he's 3in. And I'm aware of the guppies being eaten when he gets bigger (if he survives). Last time I remember he ate was maybe last week, before we ran out of brine shrimp. I cant tell, I'm still in middle school

That would still stress him out more. If anything, use a breeder box.

You really need to get rid of the plecos...

What do you mean you cant tell? We are about the same age

Gboy66 said:
That would still stress him out more. If anything, use a breeder box.

You really need to get rid of the plecos...

What do you mean you cant tell? We are about the same age

Can't tell how much he's eating. I've been trying to get rid of the monsters for a while now. Might just release them to some pond somewhere. Or something. I'll try and get a breeder box, but my dad might get mad about spending a lot if money all at once, for stuff I shouldve gotten earlier. Oh well, I'll try everything I cab

-Gears-In-Time- said:
Thanks for the info. But what could I do if I can't sell/give away my Plecos? I can't ship, would be to expensive for the stuff. And I can't possibly find a pond I can go to easily, except the one at the local college, lots of algae, possibly some fish, etc. would that be ideal for Plecos to live?

Idk. Personally i feel itd be more responsible to just euthenize it if you cant find it a home. You have no idea how many ecosystems are messed up because humans introduced things that dont belong. But anyways this is getting off topic.

-Gears-In-Time- said:
Can't tell how much he's eating. I've been trying to get rid of the monsters for a while now. Might just release them to some pond somewhere. Or something. I'll try and get a breeder box, but my dad might get mad about spending a lot if money all at once, for stuff I shouldve gotten earlier. Oh well, I'll try everything I cab

I'm also about the same age. Have you tried all the LFS in your area?

Use Craigslist to gt rid of plecos.

Bgk are semi sensitive when young add some more hiding spots just for him and adjust those those perams. Do some 50% water changes.
Once he's looking better try getting him to eat raw shrimp they love it.

Good luck they are beautiful fish.

Petco and Petsmart don't have room for large plecs. Im going to call up Concord Aquarium tomorrow and ask them if they take 1' fish. Hopefully they do

Back
Top Bottom