Ghost Shrimp Die Unexpectedly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hatty

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought a couple of ghost shrimp that died 2 and 4 days after I got them. The night before I found them dead, they went to a corner of the tank and laid down. I thoight this was very strange because not too long before I saw them in that state they were moving around well in the tank. Is this just a coincidence or am I doing something wrong?

Welcome to AA!

Was the aquarium that they were put in cycled? How did you acclimate them? What are you parameters?

what type of filter are you using. ive had no luck using carbon with those guys.. any tank i add carbon to i get a 50% die off within a few days. but i never keep them long term generally they are feeders

Thank you. My tank is pretty well cycled. My numbers are gh: 130, kh: 10, ph: 6.3, nitrite: 0, nitrate: 5. My filter is a biowheel 200 in a lightly stocked 30 gallon tank. I use the stock filters with carbon And I have a few plants with diy co2. I know they are feeders but a loved watching them.

Ah. O didn't answer that question. I stuck the bag in the tank for 30 minutes then periodically added water to the bag over about an hour.

That's what i was thinking but I wasn't sure. Maybe ill try again but go to another pet store. Thanks for your help.

These shrimp are pretty hardy in my experience. I don't acclimate them at all (they're feeders and cleaners in my tanks) and I have never seen a dead one. I would suspect a bad supplier if your water is ok.

if ammonia gets high or jumps up they are always the first to die. they are hardy until it comes to ammonia. that has happened to me. very interesting little creatures :)

Back
Top Bottom