Gill flukes and prazi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emilygupps

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Pretty sure I have at least one danio with flukes. The bf is a vet so we have access to strait praziquantel wondering if we can use the same injectable in the water as we would give small animals for tapes? Symptoms swimming frantically hiding in the corner inside some fern roots. No one else is sick and he spawned three days ago. I don't see any worms... But you can't always right? Thanks for the help.

My numbers are:
Temp:78
Nitrate: 20
Nitrite:0
Hardness: 300 (very hard)
Chlorine: 0
Alkalinity: between 120-180
Ph: between 7.2-7.8

Amonia:0

The ammonia test was a test tube and the top part was a strip. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400873595.827035.jpg

The answer to that is no. There are prazi based products on the marked that are added to the water, but the the injectable stuff you have would need to be added to food. Not sure what you can get in California, but JBL Gyropond is excellent if available... made for pond use, but I use it to treat fancy goldfish holding systems at the same rate recommended for ponds.

I have used it before when I was farming carp, by spraying it onto fish pellets, then drying them out before feeding. Wasn't strictly legal here in UK, but got the stuff and the advice from our vet!!

Sorry, but I can't remember quantities of prazi per kilo of food. Malachite and formalin can be used for flukes, but I think Malachite is banned in most countries now. I often dip fish in a salt bath for flukes.... have actually used full marine conditions for a short term bath to kill them. Danios should tolerate 25g per litre, just remove the fish at signs of stress.

Back
Top Bottom