Gill flukes on my platy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eduguy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I watched one of my platies and I saw her swim through a hole in driftwood and kind of quickly go on its side and then it was normal again.At least I think that was what happened. Her gills have been red and inflamed. Sometimes she also just tips over and then rights herself back up. What is wrong and could it be gill flukes?

First off, What are your water parameters? What is the size of the tank, and how often do you do water changes?

What are the other tankmates? Do you know your readings of ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate? pH? What temperature is your water set at?

My water is set at 79-80. I have 5 neon tetras as tankmates. The neons weren't mine but they were given to me because they were going to be eaten. I cannot test right now.

The first thing I thought of was ammonia posioning. That will often cause a redness around the gills, but without knowing your numbers nobody can say for sure.

The first thing I thought of was ammonia posioning. That will often cause a redness around the gills, but without knowing your numbers nobody can say for sure.

+1
Ammonia and/or nitrite poisoning will cause gill redness & inflammation. Please let us know what your numbers for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & ph are and what you are using to test (liquid or strips).

She is still eating. I use liquid tests. Last week on Thursday she was like this so i tested water and the water was fine.

Define "fine". If you want actual advice instead of generic answers, we need the actual numbers to help you. :) but if your fish are still eating, it probably isn't gill flukes.

Reactions: jlk
Ammonia and Nitrites last thursday were 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites. haven't got to testing yet right now though.

Back
Top Bottom