Gill Infection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blang

Aquarium Advice Freak
One of my Red-eye tetras I believe had an injury by his fin. It started out with a red spot. I treated him with "bio-bandage" several times and it seemed to help somewhat. Unfortunately, I had some surgery and wasn't able to keep on top of things. A couple of days ago, it looked like a full-blown infection in both of his gills so I moved him over to a hospital tank. The LFS said to give him tetracycline and follow the directions.

Eddie is really swollen and breathing hard. However, he is active and eats. I've given him two treatments. How many treatments should he get before I say it's not working. He doesn't seem worse today but I don't think he has improved either. How long would you expect for me to start seeing results if this antibiotic is to work? What else can I do for Eddie if I see no improvement?

IME gill infections are the most difficult thing to diagnose accurately (without the aid of a microscope and often sacrificing the fish). I usually suspect first parasitic, then fungal and lastly a bacterial infection. The reason being, they are easier to treat in that order, and bacterial infections sometimes cannot be cured.

Being that you started with an anitbiotic I would continue the medication per the instructions on the label. If you don't see any improvement after the full recommended dosage, begin treating for parasites. JMO

All it says is "Dosage may be repeated in 24 hours". I guess only two treatments? All my other fish are fine and show no sign of infection. I first noticed a problem probably about a month ago so I would think that if it was a parasite the other fish would have shown signs. Would you agree?

I feel bad that it has gone this far but not feeling well myself, it was really hard to focus on this.

OK, I went to a LFS I normally don't go to and he basically said the same thing you did. so I changed my medicine to Marcryn and will also treat with Aquarisol. He doubts that it is a parasite as my other fish would have most likely shown signs. Eddie is still eating but doesn't look good at all. I have a sad feeling that he is not going to make it.

Well, my tetra is still alive but look terrible. I tried Marcryn for 5 days and I am now finishing up the second round of tetracyclin. He's been on that for 8 days. My LFS also said to give him a salt bath which I did about a week ago.

He is very swollen and white stuff is hanging out of both gills and under his chin. The only good news is that he is eating as normal. My LFS suggested that I do a 25-30 percent water change, put the carbon back in and see how he does in the next couple of days. He seems to be really puzzled on why "Eddie" is not getting better.

Any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom