Gill ripped off GloFish Tetra?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

therealnickster

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello. I have a GloFish Tetra whose left side gill looks like is was ripped off. I have had her for about a week and noticed the next day of purchasing her that her left gill looked torn off. Now I am not 100% sure that she maybe came like this but I think I would have noticed if she did. I did some research that same day of noticing her left gill and found that high levels of ammonia cause fish gills to look like that. Since having my tank, my ammonia has never passed 0.5 ppm and if ammonia was ever detected I performed an immediate water change followed with aquarium salt and SeaChem Prime. At that time, I did have a tank decoration that was very rough and hard and has since been removed. So I was wondering if ammonia levels caused this or could the tank decoration have ripped her gill off? In my opinion, the gill really looks like it was ripped off. Since I noticed her left gill, she has been perfectly fine and social. She has never shown any signs of illness. Please let me know what you think this could be. Thank you.

(I would attach a photo, but I do not know how. Help.)

First off, welcome to AA! Glad you found us.
I would just an eye on the tetra with the missing gill plate. Sounds like you are doing a good job maintaining water quality. Keeping the fish in clean water should help. Ammonia should not have caused that injury.
There is currently an issue with posting images and it has been reported.
How to post pics? Someone recently posted a pretty nice set of instructions for doing this. I will try to locate it and post it here.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thank you! I am very happy to have found Aquarium Advice!

I will keep a very close eye on the GloFish Tetra. Will the tetra's gill plate ever heal? Do you know or recommend any medication that will help heal the gill plate?

I tried once more to attach a photo but it continues to say upload fail. I would really appreciate if you posted where I could find these instructions.

Thank you so much for your help!

Not sure if it will grow back. After a quick search on Google, probably not. I don't know what to recommend in terms of meds.
As for posting pics, if you are on the mobile app, you can click on the camera or image icons at the bottom of the screen where you type in your post and follow the prompts from there.
If you are on a PC or Mac, you can follow instructions below (I copied from a post by 54seaweed.
Some folks upload pics to third party image hosting sites such as photobucket or imgur and then include the image's link or URL wrapped by the [ I M G ] tags. I apologize the lack of details there.

I see everyone's having problems posting pictures
so I"m going to walk you through it.

There is 1 of 2 ways you can post a pict , either from a hosting site like photo bucket or from your album

when your posting in the reply box you will see this symbol
insertimage.gif
click on it.
it will bring you here .
img_3280669_1_1ca788207f428f91ccfbef9916224996.png

you will see a http:// in the box delete it out
now go to your album or to your host site copy the pict url thats the first line in the AA album
img_3280669_2_cbead67f7de432a61935b575581dd72c.png

on most host site it looks like this
img_3280669_3_71032c06aa3638e012d2c4f248e8de19.png

with a outside host copy the second line url , now you come back to this box remember to delete the http:// that is in the box
img_3280669_4_7a6f47fa754b209797372bba9b041d01.png

Now paste your picture url into box click ok
your screen should show you a preview of the pict once your finished click post reply and your pict should be visible to all

PM me if your still having problems

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom