Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-23-2017, 09:59 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Glofish staying in one place... What's wrong?

Just last night I purchased 3 glofish tetras for my 10 gallon tank. The only other inhabitants are a corydora and 5 ghost shrimp. After properly acclimating them to the tank and releasing them, they seemed completely content and fine. They would swim back and forth in the tank at the mid to top levels. I found, however, that last night when I opened the hood to put in some conditioner, they freaked out and hid by a plant in the corner of the tank. Since then, they've centered around that corner. They finally went away from the corner when I turned the light off. Next morning, before I turned the light on they seemed as they were when j first got them home, at the upper levels of the tank swimming back and forth. But as soon as the light came on, they frantically darted to that same corner... And since the morning they've been there, save a few ventures out of the corner. But they've never gone any higher than the bottom. And when they do venture out again, they seem very frisky and quick and eventually dart back to the corner with apparently no real reason. They didn't even go up to eat. So what's going on? Are they for some reason afraid of the light? Or are they afraid if the hood being opened?

Old 12-23-2017, 03:46 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Bubble
IMO your new trio of fish are simply spooked. Give them clean water and low light for a few days and things likely will level out. During this period feed your fish very sparingly. Sooner or later they will be hungry enough to really go after their food. Just be patient.

Old 12-23-2017, 05:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by V227 View Post
Bubble
IMO your new trio of fish are simply spooked. Give them clean water and low light for a few days and things likely will level out. During this period feed your fish very sparingly. Sooner or later they will be hungry enough to really go after their food. Just be patient.
Will do! They really seem to liven up when the light goes out. So should i kind of have the light on for small amounts of time each day and kind of increase until it's a full day of light? I also did a 25% change today as well. Thanks!
Old 12-23-2017, 07:43 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

When introducing a new fish to a tank they are like omg I just went from an overcrowded tank to a new tank what should I do hence why they get spooked, you should always introduce fish to your tank in the dark meaning lights completely off and leave them off for 24 hours, keep the lights off for 24 hours turn lights on (you can shade it with a piece of paper) to see how they act if they act fine you can go full On.
Old 12-24-2017, 06:58 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potluck View Post
When introducing a new fish to a tank they are like omg I just went from an overcrowded tank to a new tank what should I do hence why they get spooked, you should always introduce fish to your tank in the dark meaning lights completely off and leave them off for 24 hours, keep the lights off for 24 hours turn lights on (you can shade it with a piece of paper) to see how they act if they act fine you can go full On.
I've shaded the light with paper and they still freeze up as if by the plant. The only light they can handle is my room light with the tank light off. Would getting a black light help?

Tags
fish, glofish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com