Glofish tetra bought with no tail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kooc98

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Yesterday I adopted a pink glofish tetra that has absolutley no tail. His body ends at a "nub" aka his butt with no tail fin whatsoever.

He is about the size of a quarter so he has grown quite a lot. I'm not sure if he was born without a tail or if it was somehow completley ripped/bitten off. It appears like he may of never even had one... he is in perfect shape otherwise and zips around the tank with the other glofish.

Anyways my question is, if he was born with a tail, will it grow back? I know if he wasn't born with it then it won't grow. I'm just not sure if his species is capable of growing back their tails or not. I've heard depending on the damage then even if he had a tail, it may never grow back.

Sorry for the dumb question and thank you for taking your time to answer it.

Hello Koo...

I've seen fish regrow an injured tail, but never seen a fish regrow something that's a birth defect. Given pure water conditions and a varied diet, these fish can live an otherwise normal life. All I can tell you is, keep the tank water clean with large, weekly water changes and feed a balanced diet of low phosphate flakes, freeze dried and frozen foods.

B

Back
Top Bottom