Gold fish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jewel_cichlid03

Aquarium Advice Freak
Friend of the family has a 55g goldfish tank stock as follows
9 goldfish
4 cory catfish
3 common plecos

One of the gold fish has a ring growing around his eye like its changing colors wanting to know if its sick or if this is natrual

image-777508453.jpg

Many fish change as they mature,I would look into the specific specie of fish you should find of they change as the fish matures.

Yes, they do change color as they mature. :) just as a side note, that tank looks amazing, but those common plecos are going to get extra super huge. Three will be too many for that tank in the long term. I would think about seeing if someone will be able to take 2 of them a couple years down the road... otherwise they will start to fight each other for space.

Jewel_cichlid03 said:
Thank u just googled it and its says black moor hold fish change color when they become eldery

Moors can change color pretty quick- black is rarely a static color in goldfish. He will eventually turn completely orange then the orange may morph further into white/yellow. It has nothing to do with being 'elderly' because the color changes can start at only a few months old. For black to remain, it has to be specifically bred.

I do agree that the plecos should be rehomed/another tank before they start causing problems for the fancies. This would also help reduce the bioload this tank is holding because it's stocked with messy fish beyond its capacity. Just a suggestion for your family friend. Please ask if you have any questions! :)

Jewel_cichlid03 said:
The temperature of the tank is around 75

I would still rehome to Cory cats. If they feel like they have to have another fish with their Goldie's try a dojo loach. I've read that people have had success keeping them with Goldie's.

I'm not sure what kind of advice you are looking for but at the minimum I would rehome every fish that isn't a goldfish. Even then 9 goldfish in a 55g is a huge stretch of its capacity. It would need to be highly over filtered and have 2 to 3 water changes a week done on it.

Back
Top Bottom