Gold Gourami. Bored?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chella

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys. A few days ago I sold a heap of fish from my overstocked 55 liter (30 gal) tank and now left with 1 gold gourami and 7 neon tetras.

Now my gourami has started glass surfing- fast! And not stopping. It's never done this before. Is this a sign of bordom now that the other fish are gone? And what should I do to make it happier?

Cheers!

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hi there!

Just letting you know that a 55 litre is actually around 13-14 gallons :) so you should really upgrade to at least a 30 gallon (about 120 litres) and once you have done this then you can go from there

I think if this is boredom you could put some nice plants in your tank in which i would recommend amazon swords as they are my personal favourites and they are also low light plants which can make them fairly easy to keep?!

You could get him some tank mates! If it is a male you can keep 2 females with him and if its a female you can get another female and a male! I found mine stayed together often and swam around together :) plus i ended up breeding a pair of mine in the end and you could also do the same! You just need use a different tank and your 55 litre would be pretty good for breeding :)

Hope this helps :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Oh sorry I ment 14 gal, my other tank is the 30 gal. Oops. I have quite a few plants but I will go grab some more for him. Could I have more than 1 in the 55 L? I thought it would be to small for them?

I meant for when you upgrade to a 30 gallon then you could add a lot of plants and add some more gourami :)

Is it possible that you can move him into your 30 gal? He will be a lot happier. This is also why he may appear bored. Also the gourami do get to a decent size aswell :)

Yeah I think I will move him over once its set up properly. Its still cycling and will be a month or more before I can move him. I will add some more plants in the meantime!

I was going to put 2 bolivian rams and a groups of small cory species in the 30 gal in the future. Are these be fine with the gourami?

I think that rams and gouramis are compatible (somebody correct me if i am wrong) just do a lot of research but i'm sure rams are fine :)

You can always put the rams and the gourami you already have in the 30 gal and just test their behaviours for a couple of weeks and then add the other gourami :) plants really really help for territory matters to btw as a male gold gourami and cichlids (especially cichlids) are quite territorial so plants and caves and rocks etc will help with any aggresion ;)

Also you should try to get a test kit to test your waters (if you have not already got one) before you get the fish :)

I am happy to help whenever :)
Good luck!

The tank im setting up is will have heaps of caves, lots of plants and driftwood. I have done heaps of research into the rams and setting the tank up based on them.
I have all the test kits and keeping a close eye on the water.

I have looked into it and I will definitely try the gourami with my rams and see how it goes. I went and got some more plants for the 14 gal today and the gourami already seems happier. Hopefully he can hold out for the next couple of months until I can move him!

Thanks again!!

Back
Top Bottom